Building With Pretzels And Marshmallows?

Decorating By shebaben Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 8:17pm by shebaben

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

I need to create a nest for a dinosaur egg cake for tomorrow. My idea is to glue pretzel sticks wogether with marshmallows somehow...can that work? Is there another good way to create a 3D piece that would look like a nest? Chow mein noodles crossed my mind....I don't think Rice Krispies will do it...Thanks, friends!!!!

5 replies
Saulite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saulite Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 6

you can dip pretzels in melted chocolate(but not too much) so they stick. do couple of layers, wait till it sets and do more layers. place a nest on a piece of parchement paper for easy removal

Saulite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saulite Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 6

got a couple of more ideas, sorry im kind of slow today.
you can make a nest out of coconut shreds and chocolate mixture
or pipe chocolate over a upside-down bowl, cover is with parchement paper 1s. let it set, and take off the chocolate nest off the bowl: http://www.cakewhiz.com/cakewhiz/2011/04/default.aspx

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 6

My vote is for the chow mein noodles. My mom used to make birds nests for my class when I was a kid and that's what she used.

You could also use crushed shredded wheat-that looks nest-like.

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 6

Crushed Shredded wheat with melted chocolate would work well.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all the great ideas!!! Couldn't find any chow mein noodles, but 4 year old had LOTS of pretzels, so we ended up using pretzels and melted chocolate. It was a huge hit - the kids at the party devoured the nest before the cake!!!!! Will try to post a pic in the galleries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%