Satin Ice And Butter Crust

Decorating By wummyflavour01 Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 12:31am by kakeladi

wummyflavour01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wummyflavour01 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 3

Am having problem with this two words in cake biz. What is satin ice and how is it made , i also saw a butter icing coated cake that was really smooth and textured with a textured mat .learnt its called butter crust. please does anyone have an idea how this can be done.tanks icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

2 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:11am
post #2 of 3

Satin Ice is one brand name for rolled fondant. I think that "butter crust" refers to a crusting buttercream which is a spreadable icing that has powdered sugar and gets a firm surface for the type of impressioning you are talking about.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 3

I agree w/Kory. "Butter crust' must refere to what is sometimes called "American buttercream" - a mixture of fats (all butter or part butter & shortening OR all shortening) and powdered sugar along w/some liquid (sometimes) and flavoring. The more fat in the recipe the *less* it will curst.
Icing is considered 'crusted' when you can lightly touch it and no icing comes off on your finger.
A cursting recipe will have between 1and 3 cups of fat to 2 pounds of powdered sugar. If the recipe has more fat than that it will not curst/dry enough to allow texturing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%