False Tier - Where Do I Order? Any Special Steps?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm by JanH

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 8

Where can i order a false tier? Also, do I just frost it as i normally would if it was acutal cake, or are there any special steps?

Thanks!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 8

Styrofoam can be purchased at many craft type store - Michael's, JoAnn Frabic; Hobby Lobby and others. They are often refered to as dummies. there are some places one can purchase them via the internet but I don't remember the name of the several companies that sell the.
Styro only needs a very light misting of water if covering w/fondant. If icing w/b'cream - nothing is needed before applying it - exactly as sone would ice a real cake.

You can also make them from stacking up many, many cake boards then cover w/a piece of posterboard before icing them as usual.

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 8

I have ordered from Dallas Foam twice. They are really pretty cheap. There is a minimum order, though.

I wrap mine in the sticky plastic wrap (Saran Press'n Seal) before icing. When you unwrap it, it's like new and can be used again!

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry... that was www.dallasfoam.com (Mod edited.)

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

I've used Guildcraft Styrofoam Cake Dummies. Also you could try Pfeil and Holding although I heard their Pfeil customer service was poor

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 8

THanks for all the responses!

One more question on size. IF I'm making a 2 tier cake (bottom tier false). If the top tier will be an 8in round (2 layer), what size bottom tier dummy would be appropriate? 11in round maybe? How tall? (I see that there are MANY to choose from on Guildcraft).

I've been asked to enter a halloween bake off contest (for charity) at work and I want to make sure the cake is as perfect as possible!

THank you!!! thank you!!! thank you!!!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 8

Dallas Foam has great prices and a user friendly site.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady

Sorry... that was www..com (Mod edited.)

Please don't try to circumvent CC's autoblock program. That will only result in the thread being locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

Just to clarify, we do not delete threads just because they mention other suppliers, there are plenty of threads on here mentioning other suppliers.

The sites that are banned are banned because at some point they violated the forum rules and spammed cakecentral.com .

Sites that choose to spam do not get the benefit of exposure here.

is a great supplier, but there are other great suppliers as well, and when suppliers who are not banned are mentioned, those posts are left intact.

RE: PMs

We do not manually edit your PMs, the entire website has the banned site names in the replace database. Just like cursing. It is an automated process, we have no idea who tries to PM those site names or when.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=722965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15[/quote]

Any member who would like to discuss this policy, can pm Heath directly.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%