Does Carmelized Banana Filling Need To Be Refrigerated?

Baking By CakeItGood Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 11:04am by scp1127

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:51am
post #1 of 3

What do you all think? I am going to try this filling recipe found online, and wondered if it should (has to?) be refrigerated overnight:

Caramelized Bananas
2 medium bananas, one ripe, one a bit more firm, sliced
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
*splash of rum is optional*

1. In a large frying pan stir together your sugar and water. Place heat on med-high. When you see it start to turn color, stir the mixture so it caramelizes evenly. Even if it looks clumped together, don't worry, just keep stirring and it will melt.
2. When it turns golden/slightly dark brown take off the heat and add your (optional rum) butter, salt and vanilla.
3. Add in your soft banana first and let it melt into the sauce then add your firm banana which should keep its shape. Leave aside to cool.

2 replies
CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:37am
post #2 of 3

To clarify ... I meant that once it is inside of a frosted cake, would the cake need to be refrigerated. I typically use pastry fillings and am venturing out of that box for a client that wants "fresh" bananas. it is only in the top tier, so I can refrigerate the top tier if need be, but want to make sure it will keep during the reception. Thanks!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:04am
post #3 of 3

Bananas in filling deteriorate, faster at room temp. I make authentic Bananas Foster for cupcake frosting and drizzle. It has banana liqueur and rum. I freeze the leftovers. BUT... I remove the bananas before I use it. The flavor of the banana is there but not the deterioration.

If you want to add keep the bananas, make it at the last possible minute and do refrigerate it. After serving, refrigerate it again. Under these conditions, the bananas will be good for about 24 hours. After that, you will increasingly notice the bananas will get stronger and stronger, and not in a good way.

In real Bananas Foster, it is served immediately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%