Satin Ice Vs Cake Art In Au

Decorating By Nerelle Updated 22 Feb 2013 , 10:45am by Evoir

Nerelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nerelle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 12

I'm am totally new to this site, and not sure that I'm doing this right at all, but here goes: icon_confused.gif

I am in Australia and have been using Cake Art coloured fondant, but I am considering switching to Satin Ice brand. (I just haven't been happy with the Cake Art product as it is very grainy.)

I would really love to hear from people that have used Satin Ice for their feedback, especially anyone that has used both Satin Ice and Cake Art for comparison.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I have done anything incorrectly.

11 replies
sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:10am
post #2 of 12

Have you tried Bakels fondant (Pettinice), which is made in New Zealand? It's good stuff.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:18am
post #3 of 12

I use Satin Ice and it is good. However, a cake decorator that I do part time work with used Pettinice and I like it more than Satin Ice. I like that is is softer, easier to knead, does not tend to crack as fast when moving it to cake boards or cakes. Therefore, I am thinking about switching. Both taste good. Depending on your cake volume you can always consider making your own fondant as well. I only do this for good friends! : )

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:23am
post #4 of 12

I like both PettinIce and SatinIce.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 12

I use Satin Ice too. I really like it, not had any problems.

Nerelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nerelle Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:37am
post #6 of 12

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I will give Satin Ice a try and see how I go. Again Thank You.

Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:24am
post #7 of 12

I'm in Aus too. Satin ice is much better than cakeart red and black there really is no comparison at all. I suggest you give it a go and you will see what I mean lol.

qldcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qldcake Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:35am
post #8 of 12

i agree with your opinion on cake art fondant - it is grainy and i have also found you cant roll it as thin as a brand like bakels as it tends to tear much easier.

i now use bakels and its a much better fondant to work with, knead and roll.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:25am
post #9 of 12

Cake art is horrible stuff. Grainy and just awful tasting. I don't like the taste of satin ice, but if those were the two options, I'd go with Satin ice. I used regalice recently and it was pretty good.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:48am
post #10 of 12

I have not even seen this cake art fondant but by the sounds of it I don't want to.  I have used Bakel's pettinice, Orchard and Satin Ice.  Personally I prefer the Satin Ice.  I find it really easy to knead and easy to work with.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:30am
post #11 of 12

Cake art is horrible , bakels or satinice is much better. Bakels is quite well priced too , if budget is a consideration. 

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:45am
post #12 of 12

AI remember the bad old days before they started importing Satin Ice colours...you either had to colour your own, or if you were using red or black, use CakeArt's wet mess of a fondant. Awful stuff!

Nowadays, the availability of SI colours means you never have to deal with Cake Art colours! I recommend SI for colours, and Pettinice for white or ivory. You can of course blend SI colours into Pettinice if you need paler hues.

I have found white SI, however, incredibly frustrating to work with for the past year or so. Easy to get on the cake, but then it sets all bubbly and ripply for some reason. Can't risk using it anymore on wedding cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%