Is It True?

Baking By justdessertsbyyesi Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 9:44pm by cakeyouverymuch

justdessertsbyyesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdessertsbyyesi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 6

Is it true that if I add 1/4cup of mayo to all my recipes, it will always be moist? Or adding 1/4 cup of sour cream? which is it ? if not these ideas, what other ideas are out there for moist cakes??

5 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 6

I can testify to the sour cream. mmmmmmm moist and yummy.

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:47am
post #3 of 6

I don't know if I can say they'll always be moist, but I've made chocolate mayonnaise cakes for years and it works. Mayonnaise is eggs and oil, just like in cake.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:54am
post #4 of 6

yeah... hootersAlicia is right.. mayonnaise has eggs in it.. so basically acts as a good emulsifier..

justdessertsbyyesi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdessertsbyyesi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 6

bump

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

If you want moist without adding extra fat and cholesterol, you should try adding applesauce. A half cup of (unsweetened) applesauce doesn't make much of a difference in taste, but makes a great deal of difference to the moistness of a recipe. In addition, if you have a recipe that calls for oil as an ingredient, you can substitute up to half of the oil with applesauce without losing any of the moistness of the original recipe. When I turn my vanilla cake recipe into cupcakes I add a half cup of apple sauce to the recipe and they turn out perfect (without the applesauce they're rather dry even though the cake is perfectly moist). Actually, for the super mario and angry birds cupcakes I used mango puree instead and they were not only moist, but had an excellent hint of mango flavor as well which my nephew and his little friends liked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%