Lost My Mind... Help!

Decorating By FabBrunette Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 4:15am by carolinagirlcakes

FabBrunette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabBrunette Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 17

What started off as a 2-tier round cake has turned into a 14" 1-tier, two-layer square cake. And now she thinks she doesn't want fondant.

Fine, fine.

Did I mention that this is for her business' grand opening this Saturday?

She said as much as she liked the 2-tier one she wanted the ease of cutting a 1-tier and didn't want cupcakes. OKAY.

Fine, fine.

Now I'm lost.

I've been working for 3 weeks with her to make this incredible 2-tier cake, we had 3 different designs and last minute she wants something SIMPLE. (ie. cheap?)

If the cake is frosted in all buttercream - I'm lost. How can I make it look modern and cute (I'm not a perfect froster, I have trouble getting perfectly square edges after spending hours on it) without going all grocery store on it??

On the top of the cake now we are putting her logo on it, but the colours are an odd shade of dark red and an odd shade of dark teal, so it's going on a white cake, I guess.

I don't know what to do. HELP!

16 replies
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 17

could you use that cool petal technique to do the sides.. that would look really neat? maybe alternate the colors each line? Good luck!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

could you use that cool petal technique to do the sides.. that would look really neat? maybe alternate the colors each line? Good luck!

yep this one! Or use a comb to make simple lines up the sides, you can do that quickly and it disguises a multitude of sins icon_biggrin.gif

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 17

if you're using just buttercream and not fondant.. make sure your cake board is about 1/4 wider on all sides than the cake... just use a bench scraper and scrap along the perimeter of the board and your edges should be fine.. Also with buttercream..definitely ice that cake in stages....crumb coat...in the fridge...let it harden a bit... back out put a layer of icing on and so forth....good way to get even coat of buttercream without craters and sink holes...

FabBrunette Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:14am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

Do you have a link to show me?

Saulite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saulite Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 17

i think luckylibra means something like this:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2184817

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 17

Yeah, the petal effect would be cool, if you gradated the color. Maybe pick one of her logo colors, start with a very pale shade of it at the top, getting slightly darker as you go down the side?

FabBrunette Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 17

Do you think with a cream cheese frosting it would still work?

SweetDreams_DK Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 17

Will the petals work, or will the coloring? Not sure which you're asking.
The petals will definitely work. I don't see why the coloring won't work with cream cheese icing, though I'll confess that I don't work with colored icings much. Do you have time to try a small batch? If the coloring doesn't work, just do the petals. They're cool as is.

FabBrunette Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 17

I'm just afraid that the cream cheese frosting might droop? I'm not sure if it has the holdability that buttercream does. I only use cream cheese frosting on cupcakes to do big swirls.

SweetDreams_DK Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 17

Will the petals work, or will the coloring? Not sure which you're asking.
The petals will definitely work. I don't see why the coloring won't work with cream cheese icing, though I'll confess that I don't work with colored icings much. Do you have time to try a small batch? If the coloring doesn't work, just do the petals. They're cool as is.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #12 of 17

charliecakes said: ......with buttercream..definitely ice that cake in stages ....crumb coat...in the fridge...let it harden a bit... back out put a layer of icing on and so forth....good way to get even coat of buttercream without craters and sink holes.......

99% of my cakes have been b'cream and I have *NEVER!* had to go throught all that!
A crumbcoat should NOT have to go in the frig; if made and applied right it will dry in minutes and you can finish coat the cake. Apply the just mixed (or well stirred) icing w/Wilton's 'quick icer' tip then use a bench scraper to smooth that and there will be NO craters nor sink holes.... One should be able to finish icing a cake in less than 3-5 minutes.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #13 of 17

I tried doing the petal technique with cream cheese frosting and it didn't hold its shape well enough. The recipe for decorator cream cheese frosting on this site would probably be stiff enough but it has a huge amount of icing sugar in it to make it stiff enough and to me is too sweet without much of a cream cheese taste. Maybe if you added cream cheese flavoring to enhance the flavor but it would still be really sweet.

SweetDreams_DK Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #14 of 17

Someone posted a link for a crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream on another post: http://www.designmeacake.com/cccbc.html

It sounds like this would do what you're looking for. Not that I've tried it. I don't like shortening in my icings at all. It leaves a greasy coating in your mouth.

The cream cheese icing I use isn't a very sweet one. The real trick is to not whip cream cheese too long. The more you beat it, the more it breaks down. Also, refrigerate it a bit to firm it up before using.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:36am
post #15 of 17

my recommendation...don't use butter in your cream cheese frosting if you're trying to decorate it...the sides will fall icon_sad.gif

also, invest in a bench scraper...it's worked wonders for me icon_biggrin.gif

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:14am
post #16 of 17

As for the logo, could you just do a gumpaste plaque and "paint" the logo on? Or perhaps a large cookie with the logo royal iced on it. Just some thoughts.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:15am
post #17 of 17

I did the petal effect using cream cheese frosting (cake pic in my gallery) and it held just fine. I think it will depend on your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%