Help Please Brand New To Making Tiered Cakes

Decorating By Kimberly1025 Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 2:53am by Kimberly1025

Kimberly1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimberly1025 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 3 tier cake for my sons Birthday this Saturday. This is the very first time that I have even tried it. I think I already know the answer but I just want to make sure. How many layers of cake do you use in 1 tier. I am assuming 2, for example do you bake one 10" and cut it in 2, or do you bake 2 10" and place them on top of each other? Sorry for the silly question, but like I said I am brand new to it all. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

I make two 10 inch and level the top off and then cut them in half to make 4 layers per tier.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 7

It depends on the height of each tier you are trying to achieve. If you bake one cake and cut in half (called torte) then you will have only a 2 1/2" height. If you want a 4" height they you bake two cakes and fill then stack. I would assume that most stacked cakes are done at 4" heights. I do know that some like to do them at 3" heights.

So really it is up to you. Personally I bake two cake, fill and stack.

Brendakasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendakasey Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, I'm fairly new too, I would take a 10" and cut in 2 and put icing in between
them. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7

Just know that most serving sizing are based on 4" height cakes. So baking one then cutting in half and filling will result in only a 2 1/2" cake height.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 7

I think most people bake two 10" cakes and put them together. The other option is to bake a 3" tall cake and torte (cut) it twice and fill.

Have you done other cakes? Make sure you support the cake properly or it's not likely to stay in one piece.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

Tonnes of tutorials here, including two on stacking a cake
Good luck.

Kimberly1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimberly1025 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your help. icon_smile.gif Can I just say that I love this site!
Kel58 thanks for the link! icon_smile.gif I am excited to see how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%