First Foray Into Crusting Bc. Question About Freezing

Decorating By tsal Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 11:06am by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm experimenting with crusting non-dairy bc this week and I'd like to know if I can crumbcoat and freeze with a crusting bc. I always use SMBC which I freeze all the time beautifully, but I have never tried with a crusting bc.

Ideally, I would love to crumbcoat, frost entirely and then freeze, but I'm worried that the icing will get banged up during the freezing/thawing process and won't look as perfect.

I also have to get my hands on a Melvira roller...

4 replies
tsal Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 5

Anyone?

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 5

I freeze my BC cakes all the time. I live in a dry climate, and don't have humidity issues that can occur during thawing. You can freeze, then thaw in the refrigerator before bringing back to room temperature. I place my decorated cake loosely in a clear trash bag and secure. When thawed, I might add fondant or gumpaste decorations at that point.

My most recent gallery photo was frozen for several days before I added the fondant roses.

HTH
Kat

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:50am
post #4 of 5

[quote="tsal"]
Ideally, I would love to crumbcoat, frost entirely and then freeze, but I'm worried that the icing will get banged up during the freezing/thawing process and won't look as perfect.quote]

No reason it would get "banged up" unless the cake is mishandled.

Always best to defrost in the fridge while covered and then on the counter, still covered, until it's at room temp. That way, no sweating.

Boxing & then wrapping before freezing--& while defrosting--is the most foolproof way to keep the icing job intact.

If just using a loose covering, garbage bags are NOT food safe. I use bun rack covers (I can get a big box at GFS), which are FDA approved for use with foods:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200646820326&hlp=false

Rae

tsal Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:06am
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I will box and freeze today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%