Chocolate Panels On The Sides Of A Cake Questions...

Decorating By chica07 Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 3:04am by chica07

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake with chocolate panels on the sides of each tier. Should I make the chocolate in advance?

I usually refrigerate my cakes before transport, should I put the chocolate panel on before the fridge? Or wait until I get to the venue to put them on?

Any condensation issues with the chocolate panels??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't have much experience in chocolate...

Chica

4 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 5

I havent actually made them but if you want flat panels against the cake (as opposed to one big piece of chocolate curved around the cake) I would have thought you would have to make them in advance so that they can set and become hard before you put them on.

Does the filling, etc need to be refridgerated? If not I would put them on and not refridgerate it to avoid condensation but dont have experience of it either way.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:29am
post #3 of 5

If you are making panels that go around the cake then you will be making and cutting the pannels ahead of time ( i always make extra for breakage) and then place them on the cake with time to set and get settled.

I do not put chocolate in the fridge. It can tend to turn color and yes that old condensation. If you need to put the cake in the fridge then i would wate to put the pannels on until that morning or at the venu.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:53am
post #4 of 5

I agree with Labmom. If you are using real chocolate then putting it in the fridge will take it out it's proper temperate which more thank likely will result in it blooming (turning a grayish or ashy color). It like when chocolate melts and then will solidify. Put them on at the venue or that morning but give yourself time to set before traveling with the cake.

If you use coating chocolate this should not occur. However, the cake would need to be stored in a box and wrapped tightly to reduce any moisture. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

If you are making panels that go around the cake then you will be making and cutting the pannels ahead of time ( i always make extra for breakage) and then place them on the cake with time to set and get settled.

I do not put chocolate in the fridge. It can tend to turn color and yes that old condensation. If you need to put the cake in the fridge then i would wate to put the pannels on until that morning or at the venu.

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!

The chocolate is so delicate, I feel better assembling the panels at the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%