Icing Experiment

Baking By ivanabacowboy Updated 17 Sep 2005 , 6:10pm by Kiddiekakes

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 12:58am
post #1 of 8

My aunt gave me an icing recipe. Told me that both she and her mother it was the only icing they used to decorate. And that they made roses and everything with it. I DONT SEE HOW-unless they maybe added an extra pound or so of powdered sugar!

I made the icing and thought I would take her a cake made with it tomorrow. Her eyesight is getting bad so she really doesnt decorate anymore, so I thought it would be nice. The taste is awesome. But it is NOWHERE NEAR stiff enough to do anything unless it is completely cold. Once it hits room temp it is history and starts sliding off the cake. And my refrigerator is not quite big enough to decorate a cake in lol!

Although my DS likes the taste. I had base iced the cake and had it in the fridge trying to figure out what to do to decorate. Finally settling on the fact no way would this stuff pipe anything other than thin and maybe do vines with the press set that shows dots for flowers at the end of the vine. Aside from needing something I could do quickly before it started melting lol! Then do Swiss dots or something on the top. However, didnt quite get to try it since DS dug right in and half my cake is now gone! icon_rolleyes.gif So will be making another cake tomorrow and going back to the Dream Whip Icing-I really like that.

I am wondering tho if I would add a few tbsp of meringue powder if that might salvage an icing like this? I like the taste. Just the consistency is way too thin. I like both the Snow White Buttercream and the Dream Whip Icing. This icing was majorly different. And definitely non-crusting.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Decorating Icing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream margarine and shortening, add rest of ingredients. Keeps in refrigerator for a month.

7 replies
thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 1:13am
post #2 of 8

Could it maybe be 2 POUNDS (1 bag) of powdered sugar, instead of 2 cups? Other than that, I have no idea.

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 1:25am
post #3 of 8

I agree try 2lb of sugar instead of two cups.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 1:56am
post #4 of 8

No, it's 4 cups of powdered sugar. That's the Wilton basic recipe, pretty much. Instead of adding 1/4 cup of milk, add it a TBS at a time until you get the stiffness you desire.

Debbi

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 8

I'd use real butter too. You never want to use margarine. It could maybe be hidded inside a cake, but never for buttercream. You'll ruin it.

ivanabacowboy Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 8

I have decided I will use this icing to fill the cakes I am making today. It wouldve been nice to work with if it just stayed the consistency it was in the refrigerator. And I did use real butter-I know better than to do icing with margarine. I know margarine wouldve made it even less firm than it already was.

I may try again sometime gradually adding the liquid, as I like the taste from the evaporated milk. It would be really good as it to just to do a simple dessert cake in-the-pan without any piping since it tastes great tho!

ivanabacowboy Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 8

WHAT WAS I THINKING????? icon_cry.gif Take this icing that slides all over and use it to fill some heavy 10 in layers and what do you think happened?.....

I crumb coated. Appeared fine. Based iced...appeared fine. I used my Dream Whip Icing so I figured (aka: hoped) once it crusted I wouldnt have to worry about the softer filling. So I put it in the fridge to firm up so I could smooth it. I noticed it was leaning as I took it out. icon_surprised.gif The Dream Whip Icing didnt crust fast enough lol! I knew the top was going to go as it started cracking so I walked as quickly as I could to the sink, grabbed a spatula and just pushed it the rest of the way off into the sink. Luckily since I used the spatula I managed to salvage the bottom layer completely intact. Bottom layer intact-and I wiped all the runny frosting off of it so it is usable. Now I have another 10 in layer in the oven. And wasted the better part of a recipe of icing. And will be about 2 hours behind schedule by the time it cools. icon_mad.gif But this cake wont beat me. Luckily I am stocked on cake mix, powdered sugar and Dream Whip. I WILL FINISH THIS CAKE LOL! THIS CAKE WILL NOT BEAT ME! thumbs_up.gif

That icing recipe is confined now to desset/dinner cakes in pans only.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Sep 2005 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 8

I agree with others who have posted that you have to be careful with using margarine in some recipes.It is made from mostly water so it would seem that that could have been the culprit in turning your icing runny.Have you ever noticed when you melt butter and margarine in the microwave the margarine is like water.....and even though the butter seperates into clarified butter and the more solid fat floats ontop..if you stir it it will remix.Just an observation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%