India Tree Natural Food Colors

Baking By chemfreemom Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm by SweetCheeksGF

chemfreemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chemfreemom Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

Just so you all know...I just ordered India Tree all natural food colors from Amazon.com based on the ingredient list on that product's page. They each said they contained deionized water, glycerol, and either beet juice, red cabbage juice, or turmeric. However, when I got them in the mail, the ingredients listed on the package WERE NOT THE SAME as they were on the site. In fact, the yellow contained Polysorbate, and Propylene Glycol (a petroleum derivative used to make anitfreeze and paint, among other things). So if any of you are selling "organic" cakes to customers and using these food colors, I'd be very careful because if any of them have severe chemical allergies as my son does, they could be seriously injured. I'm currently checking into the ingredients on all natural colors from seelectteas.com. According to their site they are truly all natural, but the owner hasn't returned my call yet, so I can't say for sure.

11 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 12

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I don't use chemical free, but I do lots of cakes for other allergies, and it just may come up one of these days.

I hate false advertising as well.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 12

Oh great - thanks so much for the heads up!! I have some and never bothered to double check. I got it just for our home use, but bought it because I thought it would be a healthier alternative! Yuck.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 12

that's interesting... I have a set of 3 colors from India Tree also and the ingredients on the package are the same as you listed from the website (deionized water, glycerin, cabbage, beet juice, citric acid, curcumamin).

Granted, these have been in my fridge for a while, so perhaps they have changed recently...?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

that's interesting... I have a set of 3 colors from India Tree also and the ingredients on the package are the same as you listed from the website (deionized water, glycerin, cabbage, beet juice, citric acid, curcumamin).

Granted, these have been in my fridge for a while, so perhaps they have changed recently...?

Bonniebakes, I'm just curious -- you have 3 colors and they all have the same ingredients? Are those colors the exact same shade of one particular color or different ones?

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, I sell colors to the Natural Candy Store - they started buying from me because of the change in the India Tree ingredients. The colors I sell are all natural, with no chemicals, but they are repackaged in a plant that uses other products - although those products are not in direct contact with the colors or the equipment used to package the colors.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 12

mclaren,

no - all 3 colors have slightly different ingredients. the ingredients I mentioned were for all three of the colors (combined)

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 12

They recently changed the formula to include a few stabilizers that some find unappealing.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 12

Technically it's not false advertising, since they now say the products are "created with vegetable colorants" and "contain no corn syrup or synthetic dyes", which is true since the synthetic ingredients are stabilizers, not dyes.

It is a puzzling move though, considering one of their biggest target markets is the anti-chemical crowd.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 12

Polysorbate is an organic emulsifier used in preparation of some pharmaceuticals and food items. It is a combination of sorbitol and various fatty acids.

Propylene glycol is chemically neutral organic compound. Because of this, it is used in a myriad of circumstances as a solvent, an emulsifier, a binder and carrier. It is hygroscopic. It reduces the freezing point and increases the boiling point while remaining totally stable.

It is used in food, cosmetics, medicene*, and industrial processes.

* most oral and injectable drug preparations contain propylene glycol in significant amounts as a solvent.

It is considered to be toxic to cats [anecdotal but not scientifically tested] .

FYI: Propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze as it significantly lowers the freezing point. The active ingredient [97%] in antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol, a fatal toxin.

Quote:
Quote:

the synthetic ingredients

?? Synthesis is the combining of two or more ingredients to make something new. Every compound is synthetic ..

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 12

Polysorbate is an organic emulsifier used in preparation of some pharmaceuticals and food items. It is a combination of sorbitol and various fatty acids.

Propylene glycol is chemically neutral organic compound. Because of this, it is used in a myriad of circumstances as a solvent, an emulsifier, a binder and carrier. It is hygroscopic. It reduces the freezing point and increases the boiling point while remaining totally stable.

It is used in food, cosmetics, medicene*, and industrial processes.

* most oral and injectable drug preparations contain propylene glycol in significant amounts as a solvent.

It is considered to be toxic to cats [anecdotal but not scientifically tested] .

FYI: Propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze as it significantly lowers the freezing point. The active ingredient [97%] in antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol, a fatal toxin.

Quote:
Quote:

the synthetic ingredients

?? Synthesis is the combining of two or more ingredients to make something new. Every compound is synthetic ..

SweetCheeksGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCheeksGF Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 12

I bought from India Tree just last month and my Yellow ingredients are as follows: glycerin, turmeric, deionized water. That's it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%