Help With Ice Cream Filled Cupcakes

Baking By EthansMom888 Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 5:17am by scp1127

EthansMom888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EthansMom888 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, I wanted to make ice cream filled cupcakes for my sons 4th birthday. They are going to be chocolate cake filled with chocolate chip ice cream.

Now I was wondering should I bake, fill and freeze, then frost with whipped cream on the day off? Or bake, fill and freeze, then frost and freeze again?

If I go the first route, my concerns are that the cupcakes still need to be transported about a 5 minute drive away to the location and be stored in the freezer on location for about 90 minutes.

If I go the 2nd route, I have concerns about freezing the whipped cream, then having them slightly defrost in transit and then refreezing them.

Or should I just do a smbc for the frosting instead for more stability instead? Or will a stabilized whipped cream be fine as is.

Also, about how long before the guest eat the cake should I let them defrost so that the cake and frosting are soft without the filling melting.

I guess I am just looking for a timeline, to ensure everything goes smoothly and tastes as it should.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josie

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 5:17am
post #2 of 2

I would assemble on site. Have the "balls" of ice cream ready, split cupcakes, and a large piping bag of frosting. All cupcakes and frosting can be at room temp.

The chains that offer these items do it this way. With the right setup, popping the ice cream in the cupcake, swirling the frosting, and adding a topper will only take minutes. And the resulting dessert will taste much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%