Diy Cupcake Parties

Baking By EvArt Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm by EvArt

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 6

I've thought about doing a decorate your own cupcake party for a long while now only to find out that they are already happening!! lol I came across this one in Australia (http://www.facebook.com/design.a.cupcake.party). I guess there really are no original ideas anymore. lol

Anyways, I'd like to add this to my little cake business and was wondering if anyone has seen them; been to one; or does them??
I've already been researching where to get all of the tools and aprons, Etc. for them, but any tips on where to buy things cheap would be helpful.
And too, If you do them, what do you charge for your party packages?? I know that the link above for Design-a-cupcake, that her starting rate is $20 per guest with a minimum of 8 guests. What would that entail? And then what would be offered for other packages?

I can see these parties being right up there with going to some place like Chuck-e-Cheese, or Pump-it-up or other 'party' places for kids. The cost would be similar.

Thanks in advance for any input. thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
EthansMom888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EthansMom888 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 6

There is a bakery near me that has something similar to what you're describing.

I'm not sure where to get cheaper supplies though. Only thing I can think of are vendors online, but you have to buy in bulk.

Here's a link to the bakery near us:

http://www.sweetspotbakery.com/parties.html

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #3 of 6

ooouuu! I would LOVE to throw one of these some day. I've heard of them before being done in bigger cities but I've never been to one myself.

First off, I would make a list of everything you need and are going to supply for the cupcake making party. Plates, napkins, utencils, spatulas, cupcake liners, any edible decorations, icing, icing bags, cupcake displays, etc... and figure out the cost of everything and then go from there. There's a place in New York that does them for $60 a child, I think right now they're advertising them as "Spooky Cupcake Making Party" and that includes everything they will need to make their cupcakes (didn't say how many cupcakes though?) The party lasts 2 hours. I'm not sure if that's a high price or not but I would go through and google "cupcake parties" and see what other people are charging. Sounds like a great idea! Here's a link to another cupcake party website. http://www.tastebudscook.com/parties.html Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:30am
post #4 of 6

Something for children that is remotely similar is in my future plans. I just want to add that in my research, I found the advice to not underestimate cleanup with children. My idea is much more subdued than this and I am factoring in the price of the time to clean up.

EvArt Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

Shuswapcakes: WOW! $60 per child?? They must be supplying them with edible gold decos!! Don't we WISH we could charge that much. lol
Decorate-A-Cupcake in Australia's packages start at just $20 per child. Sounds a bit more realistic. lol

EvArt Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 6

scp1127: Yes this idea would also include clean-up. And I don't ever underestimate the mess a kid can make. Especially a GROUP of kids who are extremely excited. Hoping my teaching skills come in handy in such a situation.

I was decorating a cake yesterday and needed to keep my 2 yr old g-baby busy while I worked, so I supplied her with a "cake" and a small bowl of frosting and a plastic knife of her own so she could decorate her own cake. She had so much fun! Too bad the batteries were dead in my camera. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%