Silhouette Sd Or Wait For Cameo

Decorating By FrecklesCakes Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 4:47am by jleigh982

FrecklesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrecklesCakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:53am
post #1 of 7

I'm confused. I'm just a hobby decorator, but I think I have decided to get a Silhouette for my birthday and Christmas. I don't really spend money on myself or on my hobby and so hubby has been very kind and 'MADE' me get something I'll use and love.

the question is... do i wait for the Cameo (which is also a little more) or get the SD? I won't be buying any software like MTC or anything (I know the Cameo isn't compatible with MTC but has the new Studio software).

Has anyone seen/used both machines or seen demos on the new product? It will be used for cake decorating of course and I will get the cake package off Linda to go with it.

6 replies
littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

From what I understand, the only difference with the Cameo is that it can cut sheets that are 12" wide vs the 8" that the Silhouette SD can do. I use my pasta roller to get the gumpaste really thin, so my sheets are only a maximum of 6" wide anyways, so I don't see the Cameo being worth the extra money.

I don't use MTC with my Silhouette because the latest version of the software it came with seems to do pretty much the same thing, you are able to download JPEG (and a few other formats) directly into its software.

So far I've been happy with my machine, but there is a definite learning curve, one that I need to spend more time on achieving!

FrecklesCakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

Oh thanks so much for your reply littlestruedel. That is very helpful.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

If you want the SD, you will have to find one somewhere other than the Silhouette website, they are discontinuing the SD and they are no longer available. There were a few left on ebay when I looked and Linda McClure may still have some packages, you would need to contact her.

The free Studio software is awesome, the latest version is compatible with both the SD and the Cameo. You can also upgrade to the Studio Designer Edition, which has a few more features than the free version, and again is compatible with both machines, HTH, just wanted you to know that if you want an SD, you need to jump on it now.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 7

The best person to talk to is Linda McClure. She can tell you the differences between the 2 machines so you can make the best choice for you. Right now the main difference I see is the Cameo will cut a 12" wide area where the SD only cuts 8.5". Also, right now you cannot use MTC with the Cameo.

FrecklesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:05am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your replies icon_smile.gif

I am aware they don't have many more for purchase so will get onto it icon_smile.gif

Thanks again x

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:47am
post #7 of 7

there are still a few left... I ordered mine through Linda McClures website friday night and it got here TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesCakes

Thank you for your replies icon_smile.gif

I am aware they don't have many more for purchase so will get onto it icon_smile.gif

Thanks again x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%