Vanilla Cake With Lemon Poured Over?

Baking By relephant Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 8:03am by MikeRowesHunny

relephant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
relephant Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 4

My mother (which is 85) was talking about a cake her mother made that she really enjoyed. She said it was a vanilla cake with lemon "juice" poured over it. I was wondering if anyone has this recipe. I'm sure it wasn't just lemon juice poured over it, but assuming it was thin, some sort of sauce she made.

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:33am
post #2 of 4

Is it the old recipe for Lemon Jello Cake, popular in the 70's? Ask her because if it is, I have the recipe. It starts with a box mix. I'm a scratch baker, but my mom made this all the time. I have all of my family's old recipes in their handwritings.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:38am
post #3 of 4

I make a lemon syrup from 1/2 to 1 cup (depending on the size of the cake and how moist you want it) of real lemon juice and powdered sugar. You have to use lots of PS because the lemon juice is so sour. Maybe 2 cups for 1/2 cup of lemon juice. I usually go by taste. If you warm the juice in the microwave the PS will mix in easier. The syrup should be a bit thick, kind of like watery pancake syrup. Pour warm syrup over the cake right out of the oven. It will soak up the liquid better. When cool, you can garnish or decorate it with whipped cream. It's really very good!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:03am
post #4 of 4

Find a recipe for Lemon Drizzle cake and just swap the lemon zest in the main cake for 1 tsp vanilla extract, and follow the instructions for the rest. Easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%