Xbox Cake With Controller And Game!

Decorating By EricasCakeCreations Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm by EricasCakeCreations

EricasCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasCakeCreations Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 8

I posted a little about this cake about a month back, but now I'm getting a little nervous! icon_eek.gif

I have to make a cake for the end of the month. It's going to be a full sized, black xbox. On top of the xbox will be a game, and a controller on top of the game. This is the xbox I am resembling http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Introduces-New-Sleek-Black-Xbox-360-Console/
I have ideas on how to do this, but I have a feeling I will start it, and freak out completely!
I haven't worked with fondant much at all, but have worked with gumpaste to make flowers alot. I have only covered a small cake with fondant once, and that was about a year ago.
So! The dimensions of the cake will be 10x10ish, with a little inversion. I am planning on baking the cake in an 11x15 pan, and carving the cake out. I'm not sure how to make the indents on the top or the sides...I guess I could use strips of grey fondant, but I have a feeling it will look cheesy. I am planning on using chocolate fondant and dying it black. Is this a good idea? I don't have black fondant available around here unless I buy other colors.And, how do I get the fondant to be extra shiny like in the picture? I am also planning on dying the cake itself neon green (the xbox green). I have Duffs color gel in electric green and will be making a white cake.
For the game, I am planning on making rice krispies and covering it in neon green fondant. Then, hopefully getting an edible printed sheet for the game label. I'm not sure how to stick the label onto the fondant, though. I've never worked with the edible sheets. Also, how do I make sure the krispies will be completely smooth, like the game itself?
For the controller, I am also planning on using rice krispie treats to shape it. I've never sculpted anything with the krispies. I am planning on covering it with the black fondant, and using fondant cut outs for the joy stick and buttons.

Sooo... I guess I need to know if my ideas are reasonable, and if anyone has any more tips, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

7 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 8

Hey Erica! I will try to give you my opinion on some of your questions...

Making fondant shiny... I have never had GREAT luck with this. I have tried spraying it with cooking spray. It's shiny for a while and then it soaks in. Piping gel will be shiny too, but it's almost impossible to get even consistent coverage. I have read about edible lacquer. but I have never tried it

When I mold with Rice Crispy treats, they always get a coat or 2 of buttercream. That's the only way I know to make them nice and smooth. If it's bumpy at all, it will show through the fondant. When you attach your edible game image to the fondant "box", just put a little buttercream on the fondant and the image will adhere to it nicely.

Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

I have never made an Xbox but if i was, i have tried to colour fondant black with very little luck so i buy it now on the internet, as for shiny i know some people use steam i have never tried this so not sure how long it lasts but i have used edible spray glaze and this works well for me, for the zigzag sides have you thought of making a zigzag out of gum paste leaving this to dry and putting this on the cake before you cover it with fondant again not sure if this would work but it would be what i would try
sorry for no guaranteed answers but hope this helps a little

good luck

EricasCakeCreations Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both!
Any other tips would be great!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricasCakeCreations

Thank you both!
Any other tips would be great!

Hi there, I found this tutorial it may give a little help it's not totally detailed but may give some inspiration. I use edible glaze for the shine on any cakes.

http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/2009/01/xbox-360-cake.html

HTH

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 8

I made XBOX 360 - not s model - with controller (white) Wednesday. I was dreading it but it was not difficult at all. I also made the controller of cake, but flat and included the name of the favourite game. It's in my pictures. I was really happy it was the white one. For the black one I'd start with chocolate fondant. For the shine you can use pearl glaze or edible lacquer - I have a spray but did not use it. HTH

Sarahdee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahdee2007 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #7 of 8

Cake boss uses a clothes? steamer to make his fondant shiny...

EricasCakeCreations Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 8

Well, I finished the cake and the pictures are up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%