Wood Bucket Cake

Decorating By ngandara Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 7:40pm by ngandara

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 8

I want to make a fall themed cake I am hoping to make it look like a wood bucket and I want to use brown fondant. Has anyone done this and how do I get it to look like wood?

7 replies
ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

I just created a fall themed cake today. I will upload a picture for you to see. I fist covered the cake in white fondant. Then I cut fondant stripes that I placed on the cake. "Painted" it with a mixture of gel paste food color and alcohol. Made brown fondant that I then wrapped around cake to create a bucket effect.

ngandara Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 8

That sounds awesome!!!What a great idea! Thank you : ) I can't wsit to see the pic

CandyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyD Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

I saw this video the other day. It isn't a bucket, but a fence. I think you could get the same effect though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hwTamjy1A&feature=feedu

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #5 of 8

I made a barrel and I mixed dark and light brown fondants but didn't fully mix them so they were swirled. I rolled it out thin and cut into 1 in strips and applied them to the cake slightly overlapping and trimmed with strips of dark gray fondants...I think it's in my pics

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8

I just realized I told you the wrong thing...I didn't use fondant, I actually used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant mixture

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8

I have also had really good luck with using a medium brown fondant scored to look like planks, and then using a dark brown dust brushed along it. If you've made shallow scores to look like wood grain, the dust just sticks in them enough to make it look fairly real.

ngandara Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the awesome ideas! I will post pics if it works for me : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%