Drying Fondant

Decorating By suzieq1980 Updated 19 Apr 2013 , 7:48pm by lomikesa

suzieq1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieq1980 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 9

I made loops for a fondant bow on Monday thinking they would be dry for me to put together tomorrow but they are not. Has anyone put fondant in a food dehydrator and it work out? Usually my fondant is dry enough to put together in a few days. Thanks

8 replies
Rennay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rennay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:36am
post #2 of 9

I imagine the food dehydrator would dry them out too much, I think they would end up looking like the foods you put in them, wilted and crackly. Maybe just throw one in there for a very short time and see what happens?

mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

Try putting it in the oven with just the oven light on, if you do i suggest you post a note on the stove not to turn the oven on. it can also help if you use a 50-50 mix of fondant and gum paste, or knead some tylose powder into the fondant when making your fondant items. hth

Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:08am
post #4 of 9

I use the oven with the light on also. Works great!

suzieq1980 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 9

Well I know this sounds odd but I dont have a light in the oven. My aunt does hers that way but I cant. I may try the food dehydrator with just one and see how it goes. I will let you all know. Thanks for the advise.

suzieq1980 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 9

I just finished the small streamer to go with the bow. It took about 30 minutes on 95 degrees to dry in the dehydrator. I'm sure my loops will be done in a little while.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorymaid

Try putting it in the oven with just the oven light on

This worked so well! I had to make some fondant discs to top cupcakes and put them in there for an hour or two and they're firm enough to keep their shape. Thanks for the tip!!

scrbettyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrbettyboop Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 9

I'm desperate to dry my fondant shoe (that hasn't set for 1 1/2 weeks!)... So, I bought a food dehydrator; & did a test run. In less than 20 minutes my loops for a bow were MELTED. icon_sad.gif

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 9

AYou should ways use 50/50 gum paste & fondant. Or Buy tylose and knead some tylose powder into the fondant you want to harden.

Lomikesa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%