Pre-Making Fondant Decorations

Decorating By YorkieMaMa Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 8:21am by auzzi

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

How far in advance can I make fondant decorations? It's for my sons birthday cake. And how would I store them? His birthday is in 2 weeks.

4 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 5

Depending on what you are making I usually do my fondant decorations about a week in advance and I let dry uncovered on wax paper. If you need them to wrap around the cake or have any sort of flexibility I make those only 1 -2 days in advance and store in a ziploc bag until I"m ready to apply them.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

You can make them at anytime in advance.

Gumpaste and sugarpaste items store indefinitely in a cardboard box in a cool spot in a pantry or store-cupboard.. Do not wrap in plastic or store in a air-tight box.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #4 of 5

If you are making flat cutout decorations, you can make them weeks in advance. Place them on wax paper in a single layer. You can stack the wax paper covered with a single layer of fondant on top of each other. Place them in a plastic bag and freeze. When you are ready to use them, take them out of the freezer, unstack them and apply them to the cake. I just use a bit of shortening applied to the back of the cutout to attach it to a cake. You are able to easily reposition it if you make a mistake.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:21am
post #5 of 5

Why are you freezing them ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%