How To Make A Fondant Saucer?

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 8:34pm by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a giant "cup of cappuccino" cake and having difficulty with the saucer. I have a saucer-shaped dinner plate as a mould and smeared this with copha (shortening). I rolled out fondant mixed with Tylose and pressed this onto the plate. Left it overnight to partially dry and tried to move it so that it would not stick to the plate. It was stuck fast and I ended up breaking it.
Any ideas please?

5 replies
Rennay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rennay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #2 of 6

would it be possible to flip the plate upside down and mold the bottom of it? not sure if the plate you are using is the same on both sides (mine are). you could also try putting powdered sugar or cocoa (depending on the color of your fondant) on the plate. The shortening might be moistening the fondant too much and it's just adhering to the plate, if that's the case putting powdered sugar/cocoa on it would keep it from sticking to the plate

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 6

For my giant cup, I just pressed fondant onto a plate that was covered in powdered sugar, the. pulled off and dried on the plate flipped over. You need to make sure that you have a stiff, not sticky fondant. Gumpaste would be best as it dries quickly

Stephanie

Cher2309b Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:50am
post #4 of 6

Thank you Rennay and Stephanie for your suggestions. I shall try using gumpaste and powdered sugar. This is a practise cake and I have allowed plenty of time for the real one, fortunately.

If anyone has suggestions on how to make or attach the handle to the cup, I'd appreciate ideas.

all the best,
Cheryl

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 6

I just shaped the handle and then inserted toothpicks into the spots where it connected to the cup. Then when it was dry, I just put a little royal icing on it and stuck the toothpicks in.

Stepahnie

Cher2309b Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks again Stehanie!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%