Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By experimenting Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 6:23pm by experimenting

experimenting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
experimenting Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 18

I am going to attempt to make my own marshmallow fondant soon as my son hates the store-bought Wilton fondant I bought. A few questions:

I've read that it is softer and therefore a little more difficult to work with than regular fondant - have you found this to be true?

If so, if you cover a cake with it, do you use another medium to make figures with, like regular fondant, gumpaste, or modeling chocolate?

Does it hold other mediums well - do they stick to it?

Do you use a special frosting underneath, or any buttercream works? What about other frostings, like whipped cream or cream cheese? Or should a frosting that doesn't need to be refrigerated be used as you don't want to refrigerate MM fondant (like regular fondant?)?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

17 replies
experimenting Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 18

Also, I'd like to try and make it with marshmallow puff - anyone had any difficulty using this instead of marshmallows?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 18

I find MMF actually easier to work with than store bought. It is softer so most times I end up sticking it in the fridge for about 20 minutes after I'm done making it and it's easier to work with. I always use buttercream under my fondant but that's just me! Here's a link to MMF recipe and I've taken pictures of the whole process too, might help you a bit http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com/fondant.html

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 18

I find it more annoying than using regular fondant. I started out making and only using MMF but finally gave in and started using regular fondant.

I have also made MMF with marshmallow cream and it works and is a lot easier..however it makes it even more difficulat to work with.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 18

This is the recipe that I use for mmf. It is easy to work with. I do different flavors for mine.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation/

For making figures I use the same mmf and add some tylose powder to it or some of the Wilton gumpaste powder.

I use ganache, cream cheese and buttercream under mine since that is what I normally make.

I have never used store bought fondant. I bought some one time to compare with mine, but after reading about all the problems I ended up returning it.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 18

Only use the big marshmallows when making MMF, not sure why but they seem to work the best. I store in the frig and microwave a few secs to warm it up to knead. I don't think using Marshmallow Fluff is a good medium to use for MMF. I wonder if the cornstarch that is on the outside of the marshmallow is what makes a difference. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 18

I have *never* been a fan of MMF, but since I've given up doing wedding cakes, I'm on the austerity program. I made two batches of MMF yesterday. Will be rolling it out today for cookies. It seems fine so far.

I never liked the look of MMF - greasy/shiny. I added 1/2 cup melted white choc melts to the melted marshmallows and the result was the matte finish I prefer.

And while the MMF is good, I think it's way too sweet and doesn't taste like *real* fondant. But like I said, I'm on the budget plan these days.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 18

Have made both. I find the one made with gelatin and glucose, which I've made for many years, has a better structure for a beautiful smooth finish. MMF is softer so if the crumb coat isn't perfect, it will show thru. Have to roll out thicker which I don't care for. But maybe that's just my level of expertise ..... or lack of expertise.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeartist

Have made both. I find the one made with gelatin and glucose, which I've made for many years, has a better structure for a beautiful smooth finish. MMF is softer so if the crumb coat isn't perfect, it will show thru. Have to roll out thicker which I don't care for. But maybe that's just my level of expertise ..... or lack of expertise.

I agree with this, so it is a little bit of work getting it all perfectly smoothed. I was having major problems with my MMF, cause I think they have changed some things in thre marhsmallows, so I am now using Satin Ice. I'll still make MMF for cookies though. I use mini marshmallows by the way, cause you want it to melt quick and not have to be in the microwave too long.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:07am
post #10 of 18

I find that if I let the fondant sit for 10 minutes or so after I roll it out, it's much easier to work with when applying to the cake.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:08am
post #11 of 18

I find that if I let the fondant sit for 10 minutes or so after I roll it out, it's much easier to work with when applying to the cake.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:38am
post #12 of 18

I've only made fondant once, and it was mmf - made it for a car shaped cake for my son. I thought it was easy to work with and looked nice. I have nothing to compare it with though.

experimenting Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you for the response everyone! I made my first batch of mmf the other day (using the fluff) but haven't used it yet. I will try to use it tonight or tomorrow and I will report back icon_smile.gif

leah_s: Thanks for the tip on melted chocolate melts. I think I'll try that with my next batch. I only made a small batch since this is my first and was unsure of a lot of things. Also, I read that putting some powdered sugar on your finished mmf product and letting it sit to absorb excess grease will get rid of the sheen if you don't want it. Have you heard of or tried this. I might try it tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks again... will return shortly... icon_smile.gif

experimenting Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 18

Oh! I forgot to ask one more question:
Mmf is kept in the fridge?
So do you also keep a mmf covered cake in the fridge? It doesn't run the chance of "sweating" like regular fondant?

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 18

I only use MMF. I have no problem with it's dexterity, my recipie is 15 oz mini marshmallows, 1 tsp salt, 2 tlbs water, 1 tsp vanilla ext. 1 tsp almond ext., 1 tsp. lemon juice, 2 tbls karo syrup, 2 lbs powdered sugar, 2 tbls Dream Whip. I make it at least a day in advance and put it in a zip lock bag, I do not have to refrigerate it as it will stay fine for up to 3 months. I live in Georgia and have found that I can refrigerate a fully fondant covered cake in it's cake box with no problems, have not even had one sweat on me (knock on wood!) though I understand if one does all you have to do is let it sit out in the box and the condensation will dry on its own. I just love putting that extra money I save in my pocket or toward purchasing other baking periphenaliaicon_smile.gif

sugarcitygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcitygrl Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 18

i have just made my first 2 batches of fondant of both types since i wanted to test them. I used jumbo marshmallows and i find that the fondant is much more pliable than the other, and also much easier to make.
the regular fondant with glycerin was a lot harder but i found out that the more i worked it the more pliable it was and gave me a smoother finish.
I had previously only worked with readymade fondant from wilton, but i find i enjoy working with things i make from scratch..... all quality ingredients.

With all of that said i am leaning towards the glycerin based fondant.

the cake in question was devoured the same day so i dont know how it would fare in the fridge.

I have one question to ask tho: can i use fondant on top of royal icing?

experimenting Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, so I made 2 batches of marshmallow fondant - colored one, the second I added melted chocolate. I covered a cake with the second batch and it worked great! I don't know if the melted chocolate made the difference as I did not use the first batch to cover the cake, but to make some ruffles and a flower. I'm not seeing an option to attach a picture to this post but I posted a picture of it on my profile - it is the purple-white ruffle cake. I've only worked with one other fondant and that's the Wilton store bought stuff. This mmf definitely wins the taste test hands down and was only a tad harder to work with, but only a tad. I am very very new to all of this (I started decorating about 2 months ago) so I'm open to trying other mediums as I know everyone has their preferences and I just have to find mine icon_smile.gif
Oh, I also made a purse cake out of modeling chocolate I made - posted on my profile. I covered the cake with the mod choc in panels because I thought it might be a great deal harder to cover it like I did the ruffle cake in mod choc because of the odd shape, but please correct me if that assumption is wrong. Luckily, the design (my niece's zhu zhu purse) covered up this technique :/
Thanks again for the responses and advice! I will continue with the experiments icon_smile.gif

experimenting Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:23pm
post #18 of 18

I forgot to mention that I used marshmallow fluff/cream to make the marshmallow fondant. I didn't really measure how much powdered sugar I used - I just kept adding until I felt it looked and felt right. Like I said in the previous post, it worked great icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%