Rave: "wacky Cake"

Baking By Tails Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 2:30pm by Tails

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:47am
post #1 of 6

Just had to rave about this cake recipe I found! Apparently its called Wacky Cake (originally) and was created in the Great Depression where eggs and butter were too expensive and rationed to be used in cakes, so they made this recipe.

Well, I tried this recipe on Tues night for my (8 yr!) anniversary on Wed (yesterday), made a coffee/mocha buttercream and filled it with caramel (from a tin) and it was YUUUUMMY!!

So happy I found this recipe which is my new scratch chocolate cake recipe! It rose nice and evenly, was super easy to make and tasted amazing! Light, rich, fluffy, moist!

So anyone unsure about it, try it! I posted the recipe on this site so everyone can enjoy it (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/wacky-cake-2/) and the pic can be found here (http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2179104) icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

5 replies
ABingtheBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABingtheBaker Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 6

I agree! It is a really good recipe and your cake looks delicious.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thirty years ago, my husband and his best friend used to go quail hunting on his friend's grandmother's property every Fall and his wife and I used to visit with his grandmother 'Neevie'. She always baked a wacky cake for us and we would chat, eat cake and drink coffee. She would put hers in a 9 x 13 pan and it was very thin and flat. Her icing was more of a glaze and she would put nuts in it. Simple and delicious. Nice memories are made over cake like this.

Tails Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:57am
post #4 of 6

they dont rise very high, I had mine in an 8" and it only rose to the height of the pan, but thats fine, cos any higher and i cant fit the finished cake into my cake tupperware lol

i think it'd be great to put nuts in it! thanks!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:16am
post #5 of 6

OP, how would you grade this cake against, let's see...Hershey's choc cake?

I saw the recipe today here on CC, and was thinking about it all day icon_smile.gif

Tails Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure, I've never made Hershey's chocolate cake, but all i can say is, I took it to work, gave it to colleagues and they loved it (and they're the bunch to say "nah, its not that great" if they thought so lol). And I'm making it for halloween as cupcakes for my mom's gym party: D

Its so easy and inexpensive, what have you got to lose eh icon_razz.gif Please try it and you can let me know what you thought of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%