1St Timer Fondant Question

Decorating By Mandy20 Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 3:50pm by lilmissbakesalot

Mandy20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandy20 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:22am
post #1 of 7

Hello! I am going to attempt to make my first cake covered in fondant soon. I plan on making it the day before. What is the best way to keep the fondant fresh so that it does not dry out? Also, what are your opinions on which fondant taste better. Thanks!

6 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #2 of 7

Good luck Mandy! Keep your fondant covered until you roll it out to cover your cake. Once you roll it out and cover your cake, you don't really have worry about it drying out. You can refrigerate it, but it might dew a little when take it out. It will dry out. If it worries you, put your cake inside a small garbage bag tied at the top. It will keep the condensation at bay.

My favorite fondants in order: FondX Elite, FondX, Fonderific. If you have to buy local and can't find these, Duff's fondant at Michaels is pretty good too. Stay away from Wilton IMHO!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:51am
post #3 of 7

Rub it down lightly with shortening, cover in plastic wrap, put in zip lock bag that you've squeezed the air out. I personally feel the "best" fondant is a personal choice you'll have to figure out for yourself. Not everyone likes the way certain fondants work or taste. I make MMF, and use Fondx and Satin Ice.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:57am
post #4 of 7

I love Fondex. It is great to work with and tastes great too. Very neutral and lightly sweet and in melds well with all cake flavors.

Are you talking keep the fondant from drying out on the cake?

Mandy20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandy20 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

Lilmissbakesalot,

Yes I was wondering if it would stay good and not dry out once I put it on the cake since I plan on doing it the day before. I am so nervous. :-/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

Well, fondant *will* crust over on the outside. It's supposed to, just like bc crusts over on the outside.

I've found that Wilton fondant (cheap) works and tastes fine when mixed 50/50 with a more expensive fondant like SatinIce. You get the great taste of the better fondant, but the workability of Wilton.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 7

I don't think that wilton has great workability at all. It's spongy and doesn't like to give sharp corners. I liken it to an AirHead candy in texture. It is my least favorite fondant to work with next to MMF.

Like Leah said though... fondant is supposed to dry out a little on the outside, but it will not get solid hard on your cake. You can still chew it easily after it has been exposed to the air for a while. You could always pop it in the fridge too... the slight condesation you get when you take it out will rehydrate your fondant for a bit... then it will dry out a bit again.

=]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%