What Would You Do? (Cake Idea)

Decorating By Bridgette1129 Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 1:57am by AnnieCahill

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone icon_smile.gif

I am making a birthday cake for my friend next week and I am wanting to make it Seattle Sounders (Soccer team) themed. I am pretty new at decorating so I don't want to try anything TOO crazy and don't really want to use fondant.

-I am doing a buttercream transfer of the team's logo for the top of a round cake.
-His favorite flavors of cake are carrot cake, and lemon cake w/ lemon BC.
-I am wanting to do this design: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2113887
(w/o flower) alternating lime green and blue (sounders colors) so I am thinking a buttercream would be best?

I know that carrot cake's best friend is cream cheese icing but I don't know how easy it is to decorate with besides piping on a cupcake, which is easy.

-Does plain buttercream go well with carrot cake?
-Should the 2 flavors be different sized tiers or should I stack both flavors on top of one another?
-Should I fill with BC or make a lemon BC or curd filling for the lemon layer and cream cheese for the carrot cake layer and ice the whole thing in BC?

Sorry this is long, and thanks for your help! I made a poll to make it easier!

8 replies
augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 9

I've never tried it as I do not like carrot cake, but my stepdad has always enjoyed his carrot cake with regular bc; however, he does like it best with cream cheese icing.

Could you try a crusting cream cheese icing? I used Edna De La Cruz's crusting cream cheese icing and my stepdad absolutely raved about it (I don't really know anyone else that likes carrot cake, so I'm going off his word).

I did try the crusting cream cheese icing, and I thought it was good and it worked well with decorating.

For the tiers, I think it depends on the total look that you want to achieve as far as different or same tier sizes (I've not done much with tiers and/or different icing flavors, so I'm not sure if I'm the best to advise on that).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:00am
post #3 of 9

I guess my question is how much cake do you need? I would not do a layer of carrot cake and lemon cake on the same cake tier. The flavors are not complimentary. So your option is to make 2 different cakes. You can either decorate and serve them side by side or stack them to make a tiered cake - something you may not want to take on just yet if you're new). The other option is just pick 1 flavor and go from there. If you have limited time I say pick one flavor but if you have time to play with the idea of doing both flavors, I'm always up for a cake challenge.

The design you displayed will do fine with a cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese frosting does get softer as it gets warmer so sometimes you have to throw your piping bag in the fridge for a few minutes to get it to thicken back up. If it was a more intricate piping design, then I would be concerned. Just a reminder cream cheese frosting requires refrigeration.

Hopefully someone else can answer this question. Can you do a frozen buttercream transfer with cream cheese frosting? I don't generally do transfers and I don't normally work with cream cheese frosting so it is really just a curiousity question on my end.

I think plain buttercream is fine with carrott cake. You can also add dry instant pudding to buttercream. If you add the cheesecake flavor, you might be able to simulate a cream cheese buttercream instead of a true cream cheese frosting.

Here is a thread on pudding in buttercream.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=711079&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:02am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by augurey

Could you try a crusting cream cheese icing? I used Edna De La Cruz's crusting cream cheese icing and my stepdad absolutely raved about it (I don't really know anyone else that likes carrot cake, so I'm going off his word).

Thank you! I don't like carrot cake either, icon_wink.gif

I was looking into crusting cream cheese icings. I'm just nervous it won't work well with the design I want to do?

I was considering frosting both flavors in cream cheese as it would taste good with both flavors. I would just hate to try a crusting one, and have it still be too sticky to decorate with and have to end up making buttercream afterall!

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I guess my question is how much cake do you need?

Thank you so much for your lengthy reply.

I only need it to feed maybe 15 people? But most people do not like carrot cake so I was thinking of making two flavors. I would love to just make the lemon cake but would feel bad if carrot is his #1 favorite icon_wink.gif

I didn't even think about the fact that a frozen BC transfer might not work on cream cheese! Good question.

I like the idea of cheesecake pudding in the BC. Thanks for the link! I am not scared to do a tiered cake, so I think that would probably be my best option with BC outside so that I don't have any issues with the transfer and it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 9

Why don't you do a cream cheese filling for the carrot cake and then mix some lemon curd in with the cream cheese to fill your lemon cake. Then frost the whole thing with your favorite BC recipe. I would make your smaller tier carrot and then do lemon for the other tier. Believe me people love lemon cake. It's pretty much the only cake I've been baking for the past three months, LOL.

Bridgette1129 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Why don't you do a cream cheese filling for the carrot cake and then mix some lemon curd in with the cream cheese to fill your lemon cake. Then frost the whole thing with your favorite BC recipe. I would make your smaller tier carrot and then do lemon for the other tier. Believe me people love lemon cake. It's pretty much the only cake I've been baking for the past three months, LOL.

Thank you so much. I appreciate this and I think that is a great idea!! Lemon curd mixed with cream cheese sounds delicious. Is that what you do?

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

there is a great carrot cake recipe on here ( I'm not a fan either but I actually like this one) I've tweaked it a little and even my kids love it!! if you look up MOIST CARROT CAKE the one with the pineapple and coconut in it you will find it!! if you want to try it with my little tweaks just pm me.
Kat

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #9 of 9

Yes I have done that before. I have also mixed lemon curd in with regular buttercream and it's equally delicious.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%