Fondant Drying Help

Decorating By mncwhitely Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 12:13am by mbark

mncwhitely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mncwhitely Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

I received an order for a cake today that needs to be delivered in 3 days. I am making a gift type cake with a big loopy bow on top. My problem is that it has been raining here for days and is very humid. I am afraid that my fondant loops will not dry quickly enough. Any suggestions on how to dry them quickly and completely so my bow doesn't fall? I have had that happen before and don't want a repeat.

6 replies
CarolinaGirlAsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 7

Someone on here suggested this for rapidly drying fondant and I tried it last week and found it really works. Place your fondant pieces on parchment on a cookie sheet and place in an oven (turned off) with just the oven light on. I live in a pretty humid climate and this worked wonder for me as I had to dry pieces rapidly that needed to stand on their own. I'm not really sure why it works but it does.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 7

Your best bet is to mix it with the same amount of gumpaste and rollit very thing before cutting the pieces. When you get each loop cut and attached to itself then turn them on their side and sit it in the oven with just the light on. This will help it dry nice and quick but, I suggest that you attach a sticky note over the control with "Do Not Turn On", don't ask me why it needs to be done.
evelyn

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 7

yep, that was going to be my answer too

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #5 of 7

Definitely mix the fondant with CMC/tylose/gumpaste powder/premade gumpaste. Fondant isn't really meant to dry hard without the additional of a drying agent.

mncwhitely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mncwhitely Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I thought that I needed to put the pieces in the oven but wasn't sure if it needed to be on really low or what. I will definitely try your suggestions tonight! icon_biggrin.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7

I guess it depends on what fondant you are using. I have found Wilton to dry hard and use it in place of gumpaste (which I don't like). However I used Duff's fondant before and it would not dry at all. I even added a bunch of Tylose to it and it didn't help. Satin Ice seems to be in-between, it will dry but not as hard and takes longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%