Rice Krispie Treat Figure + Modelling Chocolate Help?!

Decorating By hema128s Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 3:43am by hema128s

hema128s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hema128s Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all! Im doing my first rice krispie treat figure for a cake and im covering it with modelling chocolate tomorrow (thursday) and the cake is due on saturday... I know it might be too early to make it but i want to make sure i have time to do something if something goes wrong..

I was wondering how to store the finished product? Current room temperature in my side of thd world is 86F. If anyone can give tips on working with rkt and modelling chocolate would certainly appreciate.

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

7 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 8

I did some rice krispies treat boots last year and did not cover with modeling cho. but I melted some cho. wafers and brushed this on the rice krispies boots to smooth over the little spaces. I thought this was pretty easy and they were nice and smooth. I was covering these with fondant so did not want my fondant to have the little bumps that rice krispies would cause it to have. that seemed to work for me. Best wishes. just brushed my melted cho. with a pastry brush over the rice krispies and I waited until that was set and did it again.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 8

to make your crispies stronger put some chocolate in with the marshmallows when you melt them. once you finish your figurines you should be able to leave at room temperature i've never had a problem with it. modeling chocolate will harden after it dries. You can also put in the refrigerator, if for any reason it were to sweat when you get it out just leave it, it will dry again and look same as it did before. I also cover my crispies with melted chocolate to fill in all the gaps than i use a mix of fondant and modeling to cover my figurines. Good Luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 8

No air conditioning??? 86F is pretty warm for chocolate based products....white chocolate will melt at just a few degrees higher.

I use reg. rkts and compress them by hand and then cut away excess. I often complete those figures way in advance.

If it were that warm, I'd definitely store it in the fridge--at a minimum in a box wrapped in saran wrap. I'd take it out, still boxed & wrapped, maybe 2 hours before pick up/delivery/serving, and allow it to come to room temp, then unbox it.

This guy is all rkts with 3 wooden dowels for support, covered in modeling chocolate, but it was quite cool here when he was made & delivered.

Rae

hema128s Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone! Will definitely compress as much as i can and brushing with chocolate is something i'd try icon_smile.gif

Tgere us aircon during the day but we close them when we close the office up in the evenining. I've read on another forum that omitting the butter from the recipe will make the rkt stronger.. Any thoughts on that? Also i mixed in some fondant intobmy modelling chocolate.. Howdoes that affect things?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 8

I used modeling chocolate and rice krispy treats for the tree and hedges in the Red Queen's House in my pics. I loved working wtih modeling chocolate. It's so easy to warm up with just your hands and molding was so simple and hiding seams. I felt I had more time to work with it than say fondant.

To do the tree, I squished the RKTs around a hollow support pillar so that it would have something to hold on to. Then I did the top of the tree on a cake circle and attached it to the trunk. I use pre-purchased RKTs for all my modeling because they seem to be stiffer than homemade. I just squish them until they're really dense and pretty smooth. In my case, I didn't need them perfectly smooth but if you want them smooth you can use a knife to carve them and/or cover in chocolate as mentioned above.

My one comment is that modeling chocolate does dry out over a couple of days. So if you're going to do something with detail, you should do it the same day. I had time to carve, add details and impression mats but after the first day it will stiffen up and look dry if you try and fuss.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema128s

Thanks everyone! Will definitely compress as much as i can and brushing with chocolate is something i'd try icon_smile.gif

Tgere us aircon during the day but we close them when we close the office up in the evenining. I've read on another forum that omitting the butter from the recipe will make the rkt stronger.. Any thoughts on that? Also i mixed in some fondant intobmy modelling chocolate.. Howdoes that affect things?

I like the texture & workability of the pre-made rkts, too. I think that they're already slightly compressed from the maufacturing process, so I think they save time, too.

I've made them using about 1/4th of the butter and they worked fine.

If you mix fondant w/ modeling chocolate, you can lose some of the advantages of all modeling chocolate--complete loss of seams with gently pressure, etc. If you prefer it that way, that's your call.

If I work on a piece and have to go back to it later--I had to do that with ears on my gnome--I run my had over the area of the figure I need to work on until it gets a bit shiny and then it works just like it's freshly covered. If it's a very large area, I use my blow dryer on warm.

Rae

hema128s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

We dont get ready made rkt here, which is really sad.. icon_sad.gif the cake worked out pretty good though (for my first time) the "oscar" part of the statuette could have used more work but as a whole, it looked good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%