Help...fondant Ripples??

Decorating By jstan Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 7:53pm by KoryAK

jstan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstan Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 11

I just covered a soon to be wedding cake...well maybe not if I can't fix it. So anyway I have ripples on the sides of the cake, I used "the Mat" like I always do and I usually see very faint ripples that my husband says only I can see. OMG I can see these from a mile away. Any solutions or tips to help so I won't ruin the brides day with ugly cake....PLEASE I can't add a picture I dont know how I wish I could

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 11

Is it because of The Mat? Can you try NOT using it and see what happens? (Haven't used the product myself)

Are you using a fondant smoother once you get the fondant on the cake? If not, this should help take them out.

jstan Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 11

the cake is a14,10,6 I covered the 14 with the mat(sweetwise) then the 10 just regular and it did the same thing....My cakes were frozen then I took them out and filled and blanked(crumb)coated them. I coat it pretty thin so I can see the sides of the cake almost coming through. Am I not putting enough buttercream? My cakes are 4 layers torted. Thicker fondant? Sometimes when I used thicker it cracks on me. I am useing homemade MMF.... HELP

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 11

Do you think the ripples are the separate cake and filling layer outlines? I put a full coating of buttercream under my fondant and chill before covering - zero problems in this arena.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 11

Horizontal or vertical ripples?

jstan Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 11

vertical ripples I wish I knew how to post a picutre ..its like the filling is buldging out should I try to take it off or can I put another layer on???

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan

I just covered a soon to be wedding cake...well maybe not if I can't fix it. So anyway I have ripples on the sides of the cake, I used "the Mat" like I always do and I usually see very faint ripples that my husband says only I can see. OMG I can see these from a mile away. Any solutions or tips to help so I won't ruin the brides day with ugly cake....PLEASE I can't add a picture I dont know how I wish I could

I recently learned how to upload a picture onto this message board. Go to tinypic.com and upload your picture. go through the steps and when it uploads copy the IMG link and paste it in your message...your picture should appear

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 11

[quote="jstan"]vertical ripples I wish I knew how to post a picutre ..its like the filling is buldging out should I try to take it off or can I put another layer on???[/quote]

I'm confused. The filling bulging out would make horizntal ripples.

It does sound like you're not using nearly enough bc under the fondant.

jstan Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 11

Image I hope this works this is what my cake looks like

jstan Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 11

sorry I meant to say horizontal I have been going back and forth from the computer and my kitchen

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 11

Let the cake settle before you ice it, ice with more buttercream, and get it cold before fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%