Just Been Asked To Do My First Wedding Cake... Terrified!!

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 5:54am by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked in the last week in fact to do two wedding cakes. Both for friends I may add. I agreed to both as one wedding is not until 2013, and was going to be something like this without the lilies,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U56yhynHDXY/S8gGbRZXRiI/AAAAAAAAAg8/17ekj0PniA8/s320/round_green_trim_wedding_cake.JPG
simple enough....
then the second one she said would be quite simple, and she is a better friend lol. She wants something like this now:
http://www.sweetart.co.uk/wedding-cake/mini-wedding-cakes.jpg
with about 60 of the mini cakes. I'm terrified lol. This wedding doesnt yet have a date, so it could be in two years time, or it could pop up next year sometime. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to make 60 individually decorated mini square cakes? Will I be able to do this on my own? She wants the mini cakes alternating between white and purple with the opposite colour decoration and ribbon on each one, so even more complicated than the cake on the picture. I guess its not exactly complicated but just looks really time consuming, and difficult to get every single one identical in shape and size.

Any advice?? Pleassseee??

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 5

First of all, relax. If your friend asked you to do her cake, she is confident you have the ability to do it. Second, you have time to practice and see how long it will take you to do, say a dozen mini cakes. You'll be able to do all 60 yourself, but if you're still nervous, have someone handy to help with little stuff - - just cleaning and keeping things put up for you would make a big difference.

Gumpaste/fondant decorations can be made ahead of time, so once the cakes are made all you have to do is attach ribbons and decorations, which goes really fast. The most important information you need to get from your friend is an idea of the date; are we talking a week, a month, a year?

Luckily, both cakes are simple so you'll be able to do them with no problem. The most important thing to remember is not to panic and just take one step at a time. You'll do great.

zetasilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zetasilver Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Jenny..heyyy way to go on your first wedding cake orders!! I did my own wedding cake last year, i'd never done one before. Must have been crazy lol!! Was plain fondant covered 4 tier cake, very similair to your first pic. I seperated the top 2 tiers from the botton 2, Then used silk flowers and ribbon to decorate. I was really pleased with result as I really had no idea what I was doing lol!!
As for the mini cakes, Ive never made any so no idea how long they would take, but how about using the Alan Silverwood mini cake pans. A bit on the costly side though, £30-35 on ebay. Or maybe sheet cakes and use a square cutter, then layer and fill them. That could be a bit of pain though. I think id go for the mini pans to ensure identical shape and size.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 5

I have done mini cakes and by far the easiest way to do it is with a sheet cake and a cutter. If you're getting paid for the minis, they should be somewhere in the $20-$30 range. Each. You'll find out why.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:54am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

If you're getting paid for the minis, they should be somewhere in the $20-$30 range. Each. You'll find out why.

Lol thanks.That's rreeaallllyyy put my mind at ease haha. I'm just kidding I appreciate your comment! I think I will definitely have a go both ways, zetasilver I already have an Alan silverwood multi size square pan(which I've never even used), so I could do a 12 inch pan of minis depending on the size of them. I guess I'll have to just experiment.

Jgifford I think I need to ask her when she expects this wedding to be, even just a half of the year she has in mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%