Anyone Have Copper Countertops?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 2:12pm by SammieB

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 3

I'm looking at doing my counter tops or a custom table top. I am seriously considering a stainless steel but I noticed that copper is a new popular material for kitchen counter tops. Does anyone know if it's a valid food work surface? Cursious on upcake and if I could roll fondant directly on the counter.

2 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 3

I have a hammered copper farm sink. It is incredibly beautiful, but kind of high maintenance. Because different foods of different acidity react with the copper, I have more than once created discolorations in the surface in the exact shape of whatever was laying on it, for instance, the shape of the top of a strawberry. Discolorations can be shiny like a new penny, or even green like the Statue of Liberty. I wouldn't use it for countertops, I'd go with granite. Hope this helps.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

Kellye is right, talk about high maintenance! Honestly they would be beautiful, but definitely not going to stay a shiny copper. Not to mention it will scratch more. Due to the coloring you may not notice itas much as you would stainless, but it will. If you're looking for gorgeous, low maintenance granite, silestone, or quartz. Stainless is probably the most low maintenance if you don= care about scuffs though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%