Do You Feel Like Less If You Use Box Mixes In Your Recipe?

Decorating By Dayyi Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 9:57pm by DaDa561

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:41am
post #61 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

OK, I'm not getting the common theme here, that apparently scratch cakes are inconsistent and unreliable etc - that is simply not true - it might be true if you are not good at scratch baking, but I have never in my life used a box mix, and I aint going to lie to you, I never would. I have been baking for only 3 years (I used to be a terrible baker because I wasn't really that interested, but then got really interested and invested a HELL of a lot of time practising). I can say in the whole 3 years of baking, I haven't had a cake fail. My cakes are super moist, in fact they are often likened to gateaux.
I'm not saying that boxed recipes don't taste nice, they probably taste fine, in fact they probably taste great, but don't just presume that scratch recipes just don't measure up to box recipes, because that is blatantly not true - if a scratch recipe hasn't measured up to a box recipe, it has to be because the recipe you used was rubbish, or, dare I say it, you didn't bake it right. Regardless of whether you use boxed or scratch, there are good recipes and bad recipes, it's all about finding what is good and getting good at it.

This, too!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:30am
post #62 of 114

I have no problem with how anyone chooses to bake except for one issue: When they lie to the customer.

The idea that it is none of their business is sad. First, they may think they are getting a scratch ckake and second, because they believe it is a premium cake, they are unaware that it has artificial ingredients. Not everyone wants to eat that way. Many states are going to a law where ingredients must be posted, like on all other types of food. The baker has slipped through the cracks. With more states requiring that bakers must disclose ingredients, consumers can make a more informed choice.

I'm not saying, feature the box on your home page, but be honest. One of the things you may not realize, but like others on this thread, I let my customers know who bakes from scratch and who does not. It is a selling point for me and all businesses must stress what they do best. So if your customer asks you, chances are that she may already know, especially if she is still shopping. Your lack of being forthcoming with the information she already knows will not look good.

I'm also not advocating telling everyone when they come in the door that it is box. Just those who ask.

When it comes to advertising, there are two bakers in my area who intentionally deceive customers on their site for the sole purpose of getting a premium price for pure crap (not box mixes, but the worst). Grandma's recipes when, in fact, the cakes came from Walmart, and finest gourmet ingredients when there is not one real thing in the whole recipe (maybe an egg) is wrong by me.

These same people, and all box mix bakers, can truthfully advertise that they have fantastic, moist, flavorful cakes that their customers rave about. Just one bite and the client will be convinced too. With careful, honest wording, a box baker can tout the virtues of their cakes in many delicious ways.

And I will respectfully disaree with anyone who says a box mix and a scratch cake are no different... a good scratch cake. Most box cakes are better than the attempts at scratch by a novice baker. I would never compare my simple fondant cakes with the works of art of some CC designers, nor would I downgrade their knowledge, experience, or their skill. Successful scratch bakers have put in their dues too.

Bottom line: Do what you do best and what your customers like. There is certainly room for everyone at every price point and every skill level. The proof is in the market. But if you are asked, be honest. It is what you would expect from a business when you shop.

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:35am
post #63 of 114

I feel bad if I use mix....maybe because before I can caking like this, I used to bake from mix all the time.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:44am
post #64 of 114

Baking from scratch, doctored or mix is no different than deciding between making canned, frozen or fresh vegetables.

Each method has its merits and for the most part, customers don't really care how you got from point A to B. The customers that do, usually do seek out which they prefer which means if you use an alternate method than what they want, they probably aren't your customer anyway.

Cilla17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cilla17 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:32pm
post #65 of 114

For a start I'm a beginner & live in Australia, so if I needed to make a red velevet cake it would have to be from scratch bc we just don't have that in a pre mix form.

But having said that, if I knew the decorating was going to be very time cosuming, I would use a cake mix, purely bc I find they stay fresher for longer which allows me the time to concentrate on decorating it.

Having said that, as I am just a beginner, I still constantly try out new recipes from scratch, and what ever doesn't work out, then it gets turned into cake pops!

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:35pm
post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I have no problem with how anyone chooses to bake except for one issue: When they lie to the customer.

The idea that it is none of their business is sad. First, they may think they are getting a scratch ckake and second, because they believe it is a premium cake, they are unaware that it has artificial ingredients. Not everyone wants to eat that way. Many states are going to a law where ingredients must be posted, like on all other types of food. The baker has slipped through the cracks. With more states requiring that bakers must disclose ingredients, consumers can make a more informed choice.

I'm not saying, feature the box on your home page, but be honest. One of the things you may not realize, but like others on this thread, I let my customers know who bakes from scratch and who does not. It is a selling point for me and all businesses must stress what they do best. So if your customer asks you, chances are that she may already know, especially if she is still shopping. Your lack of being forthcoming with the information she already knows will not look good.

I'm also not advocating telling everyone when they come in the door that it is box. Just those who ask.

When it comes to advertising, there are two bakers in my area who intentionally deceive customers on their site for the sole purpose of getting a premium price for pure crap (not box mixes, but the worst). Grandma's recipes when, in fact, the cakes came from Walmart, and finest gourmet ingredients when there is not one real thing in the whole recipe (maybe an egg) is wrong by me.

These same people, and all box mix bakers, can truthfully advertise that they have fantastic, moist, flavorful cakes that their customers rave about. Just one bite and the client will be convinced too. With careful, honest wording, a box baker can tout the virtues of their cakes in many delicious ways.

And I will respectfully disaree with anyone who says a box mix and a scratch cake are no different... a good scratch cake. Most box cakes are better than the attempts at scratch by a novice baker. I would never compare my simple fondant cakes with the works of art of some CC designers, nor would I downgrade their knowledge, experience, or their skill. Successful scratch bakers have put in their dues too.

Bottom line: Do what you do best and what your customers like. There is certainly room for everyone at every price point and every skill level. The proof is in the market. But if you are asked, be honest. It is what you would expect from a business when you shop.

thumbs_up.gif

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:40pm
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Baking from scratch, doctored or mix is no different than deciding between making canned, frozen or fresh vegetables.

Each method has its merits and for the most part, customers don't really care how you got from point A to B. The customers that do, usually do seek out which they prefer which means if you use an alternate method than what they want, they probably aren't your customer anyway.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. If I was in a restaraunt, and they put canned veggies on my plate, I would be very upset. And just like canned, frozen or fresh, there is a difference in scratch, doctored or mixed. It's all in the quality of ingredients and the additives. I'm not bashing the idea of using a doctored or box mix, everyone has to choose what makes them comfortable, but there are some pretty unhealthy stuff in pre made foods.

ButRCream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButRCream Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:06pm
post #68 of 114

I personally bake from scratch - when I first started decorating, I used box mixes. Still don't think they should be looked down upon, HOWEVER if you're selling - be truthful!!! I as a consumer I want people to be truthful to me when I'm purchasing something - so I think our customers deserve that same respect. Just be truthful. If you feel the box mix produces a better tasting flavor of cake, tell your customer this and they'll appreciate the honesty. But don't be afraid of scratch baking - get your hands dirty in the kitchen! icon_smile.gif

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 7:48pm
post #69 of 114

I think it all comes down to taste.

I personally do not like cake box mixes, they taste pretty mediocre (again, its just my opinion). I have spent countless hours finding and testing recipes and I think it was worth the research. I have very good flavors that my customers LOVE.

But if you and your clients are happy with your products then that's great!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:13pm
post #70 of 114

mclaren: I can certainly see why you would not want to use cake mixes at the price you said they were. that is outrageous. I love to scratch bake myself, I grew up learning that, but mom also used a mix for convenience sake from time to time.

I agree with scp1127: be honest with your customers. To me that is up there even with the quality of the cake you areseelling to your customer. There are a lot of great recipes that I have made lately that start out with a mix, but by the time you get done more than half of the cake is scratch.

Someone mentioned that they had not seen pillsbury mentioned on here and it was recently. In a forum I read recently it said that pillsbury and bettycrocker had changed their box sizes and I think that someone said that the ingredients that you added to it were still of the same quantity and that would be a mistake if that is true because there would be too much liquid for the dry ingred. I have not bought a pillsbury or bettycrocker mix lately. So I do not know this for a fact. Usually when I buy cake mixes they are usually from Aldi's or Duncan Hines. Sometimes I just do not have time to make from scratch, but I would never sell a cake and not tell the customer that is was from scratch if it wasn't. That is just wrong like scp127 said.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:20pm
post #71 of 114

I use box mixes, only because I am just starting out and dont want to "try" scratch on anyone until I have it down pat. Duncan Hines seem to be the best cake mixes , then Betty Crocker last of all Pillsbury because they are so dense

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:50pm
post #72 of 114

Sad thing is..I really don't like the baking part..but I love the decorating..but I want a GOOD tasting cake.. I have tried the WASC and sometimes it doesn't come out like I think it should.. I would just "love" to have one fantastic white cake/chocolate cake recipe and be done with it..as it is I'm up to my ears in experimenting..it's just not my thing..but I DO love the decorating part..lol

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:50pm
post #73 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formynana

I use box mixes, only because I am just starting out and dont want to "try" scratch on anyone until I have it down pat. Duncan Hines seem to be the best cake mixes , then Betty Crocker last of all Pillsbury because they are so dense

Sometimes a dense cake is necessary. I do alot of carved cakes, and not everyone wants a pound cake. I have to have a good dense cake in order for it to hold up after being carved.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:05pm
post #74 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formynana

Sometimes a dense cake is necessary. I do alot of carved cakes, and not everyone wants a pound cake. I have to have a good dense cake in order for it to hold up after being carved.

Interesting that you mention Pillsbury is dense. The bakery I work at uses Pillsbury cake mix and it's very soft and light. Almost too soft. We don't do many carved cakes, but when I do, I almost have trouble with it.

Just to mention my opinion on the box vs. scratch issue, I like to bake from scratch. As I've mentioned earlier my bakery uses box mixes and they are fine. People like them, I'm busy with cake orders, so that's a good thing! But my dream is to open a bakery that bakes from scratch.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:41pm
post #75 of 114

Well I see the battle rages on. What everyone here needs to do is what works best for them for what ever reason. I see no reason for conversions or apologies.

One thing that seems to stick out like a sore thumb is this type comment "lying to the customer" or "the customer should be told the truth." This comments are in reference to people who use box mixes. To all who feel box bakers are liars may I ask why? Have you personally been lied to or misrepresented by a baker? Witnessed such action? Or is this purely assumptions? Out of all my years of selling cakes would you like to know the number of people who ask if it was scratch or boxed - 6 people in 22 years. So apparently it's not that big of a selling point.

To address the issue of canned, frozen type food served at restaurants. You would be surprised. I know this having had to go through kitchen areas when delivering cakes. Real surprised.

For whoever wanted to know why cake mix was invented, convenience.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:14am
post #76 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

One thing that seems to stick out like a sore thumb is this type comment "lying to the customer" or "the customer should be told the truth." This comments are in reference to people who use box mixes. To all who feel box bakers are liars may I ask why? Have you personally been lied to or misrepresented by a baker? Witnessed such action? Or is this purely assumptions?

Okay, here it is for me, yes, I have been lied to. Went for a cake tasting, told from scratch from a few bakers, it was a mix. But here on this very site there have been many threads that asked "What do I say if I am asked if I bake from a mix", many times. They baked from a mix and didn't know how to respond to customers who asked if they baked from scratch. My response was to tell them the truth. I can not tell you how many people one here said,"Say you can't tell, cause of trade secrets" and etc., etc, etc. And when asked why not just the tell them the truth, the response to that is "Well does coca cola reveal their trade secrets". icon_confused.gif Really? I don't find that to be the same thing at all. I know I am drinkng an artificial drink when I drink a Coke. If I ask if you bake from scratch, it's cause thats what I am looking for, so, please just tell me. It may be that I end up liking your cake just fine, but I still want to be told the truth. I know this is something you would never do Cakelady, but you would be surprised how often I have seen on here in the past years, people tell others not to tell that they bake from a mix. Be proud of what you do. thumbs_up.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:22am
post #77 of 114

And no, I don't think all people who bake from a mix lie, I've just seen it happen and suggested on this site.

cakelady2266 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:19am
post #78 of 114

I tend to be honest in my endeavors. I never thought anybody would feel they needed to fudge the truth or mislead. The few times I've been ask I've always been up front. In addition to the basic box mix flavors I offer my specialty/dessert cakes that are scratch. Either way they are gonna get a great cake from me. I was surprised by the number of people that believe chain grocery stores bake their cakes in house. Those cakes come by truck, frozen and are icing with icing from a bucket.

As for me personally, I don't eat much cake. I am however a unrepentant breadoholic.

Most brides have shot their budgets by the time they get to me so they are looking for basic white or butter cake, no frills (fruits, nuts, fillings) that will be well received by their guest. For the extra expense and time of a scratch white or butter cake I would just about have to double the per serving price.

scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #79 of 114

cakelady, I was referring to those who deceptively advertise that their cakes are from scratch or contain fine gourmet ingredients, and they are not, and those who, when asked, will not give the customer a straight answer. In both cases, this is deceptive and none of us appreciate a company that misrepresents its products. You are right, most will not ask. But even on this thread, posters have said that if a customer asks if it is scratch, it is a trade secret. That is a lie. Many more people read these threads than post. It's something that aspiring business owners should think about.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:22am
post #80 of 114

[quote="CalhounsCakery"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

I have to respectfully disagree with this. If I was in a restaraunt, and they put canned veggies on my plate, I would be very upset.

I know of a food service store that carries 6 lb cans of vegetables and something tells me that is not for home use. There are people that dont care about what goes in their food as long as it tastes good. Others who care more about what goes into their food and prefer not to eat premade food products, look for places that cater to that notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

And just like canned, frozen or fresh, there is a difference in scratch, doctored or mixed. It's all in the quality of ingredients and the additives. I'm not bashing the idea of using a doctored or box mix, everyone has to choose what makes them comfortable, but there are some pretty unhealthy stuff in pre made foods.

I see that you must have misunderstood what I was saying. It wasnt to bash the methods or say that all three methods were equal to each other; it was just point out that if you feel comfortable buying other premade foods, then you should feel just as comfortable using the mix. I do know of one mix that says that are all natural.

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 8:23am
post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

scratch cake: dump a bunch of stuff in a bowl, mix and bake

box mix cake: dump a bunch of stuff in a bowl, mix and bake

nuff said icon_smile.gif

IMO of course.

Love this thumbs_up.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:02am
post #82 of 114
Quote:

nuff said icon_smile.gif

IMO of course.

I love this too! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:15am
post #83 of 114

You can love it all you want, but it's not true. You won't find these as comparatives on an IQ test. More likely a question on opposites. Belittling the art is insulting.

QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:55pm
post #84 of 114

[quote="cakelady2266"]As for me personally, I don't eat much cake. I am however a unrepentant breadoholic.

quote]

I'm with you there, sister! thumbs_up.gif ...as I eat my homemade cinnamon roll I made yesterday, slathered in, and I mean SLATHERED, cream cheese frosting. I'll eat the bread I made at snack time. thumbs_up.gif

cakelady2266 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:06pm
post #85 of 114

QTCakes1, they say man can't leave by bread alone, maybe not. But this woman would take on that challenge.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:27pm
post #86 of 114

I honestly do not know why you should feel less nor why a scratch baker would try and make one feel like you were. Do these same ppl use commercial fondant? Does make them less then too? Like most consider it to be a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable using.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

Quote:

nuff said icon_smile.gif

IMO of course.

I love this too! icon_biggrin.gif

I NEVER allow myself to be pulled into this type of debate/discussion but the above posts made me laugh out loud....and not in a good way.

If you actually believe the key to scratch baking is to "dump a bunch of stuff in a bowl, mix and bake"...well there's no wonder so many people fail when they attempt it.

That has to be the one of the most insulting posts I've ever read on this site...and I've read some doozies.

I'll say this...if scratch baking is so easy, why doesn't everyone do it? I'll answer that for you...it's not easy, it's a skill and an art and everyone can't do it.

There are a lot of things I can't do...I can't play piano, crochet, knit, ski or speak German, but I can bake from scratch.

We're not all good at everything. I don't see why this discussion comes up so much.

It's not the end of the world if you can't bake a cake from scratch successfully, but at least have the common courtesy to not insult those of us who can by comparing it to "dumping a mix in a bowl and bake".

That's so not cool. thumbsdown.gif

scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:55am
post #88 of 114

cakestyles, I agree. There is obviously a hierarchy on CC in designers, from beginners to pure artists. But do we debate it's just fondant and buttercream? No we don't. Because we respect the art.

Successful scratch baking is also an art. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's open game for putting it down. It's pretty obvious on this site who can and can't scratch bake. You can see it in the posts.

And remember, the scratch bakers didn't start this one.

I am still maintaining that there is room for everyone. At my prices, most of the market is knocked out of this type of cake. And for those of you who are stagnated in your baking skills, remember that on any day, a new baker can come to your town and put a big dent in your business. So like every type of business, always try to keep perfecting your skills, whether you bake by mix or scratch. It is aways best to have that cushion when competition appears. Another thing to consider is that most box bakers, the majority of the business, compete for the same, many times saturated, market. The scratch bakers are not only a smaller group, but the market is untapped in many areas, leaving the most affluent clients to the fewest bakers.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:40pm
post #89 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

cakestyles, I agree. There is obviously a hierarchy on CC in designers, from beginners to pure artists. But do we debate it's just fondant and buttercream? No we don't. Because we respect the art.

Successful scratch baking is also an art. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it's open game for putting it down
. It's pretty obvious on this site who can and can't scratch bake. You can see it in the posts.

And remember, the scratch bakers didn't start this one.

First bold: Yes it is debated and they have gotten heated as well. It might not be as often but threads have "discussed" whether buttercream made with shortening is real buttercream. Similar debate (artificial versus real), similar comments (do what you customers like, I can taste the difference, premium quality) with similar results. And while it may be fairly uncommon there are those that disdain fondant and have argued the only real skill in decorating is buttercream. So yeah they are "discussed" as well.

Second bold: Who is putting who down? Look I bake solely from scratch. I believe that makes me better than someone who does not. Whether or not I can beat Blake in a cooking competition is irrelevant as I would say we are not competing on a level playing field.

Doctored mix makers please do not take this as me trying to insult you--if I wanted to do so I would have posted this much earlier. It is simply designed to illustrate the point I am about to make. That point is when I invoke the idea of scratch baking as an art I am fully aware that that is a shot at non-scratch bakers--which is why I did not make that point earlier in this thread.

Yes by invoking the idea that scratch baking is an art you implicitly insult non-scracth baking. You are automatically making a value claim about what you do versus what they do. The only reason to invoke I bake from scratch is to say I am better because I bake from scratch. Saying I market myself as a scratch baker is not simply a means for differentiating yourself from the competition.

It says purchase from me I am better because I bake from scratch (no matter how good my product might be). But it has to be better right? Because I bake from scratch. My process is superior so my products are superior. How is that not insulting?

So it is more than a little disingenuous for someone to say hey what I do is an art but hey do not feel inferior with what you do baking from a mix. Because hidden in there is you really are inferior because what you do is not an art. Describing only scratch baking as an art by definition means baking from a mix is not.

And please do not state there is nothing hierarchical about describing scratch baking as an art. Artistic practice is valued above non-artistic practice. If it was not, why all the investment in characterizing scratch baking as an art? So yeah when you invoke scratch baking as an art you implicitly say non-scratch baking is not an art and hence inferior--it is inferior because it is not an artistic process.

If you are going to claim what you do as an art then own up to the idea that every time you do you are claiming baking from a mix is inferior.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:30pm
post #90 of 114

Gatorcake: Thank you so much for your response. I always wondered why I felt inferior to someone that bakes from scratch. It's comments like this; saying that baking from scratch is an art, therefore implying that those that do not bake from scratch, are not artists.

I think that maybe there should be separate categories under the "How Do I?" section. One for "Scratch Baking" and one for "Cake Decorating". Some of us are more interested in the baking aspect and think that's more important and some of us are more interested in the decorating aspect and think that's more important.

Think of it this way though... we'd make a great team! icon_biggrin.gif A bakery with an awesome scratch baker AND an awesome decorator would make some kick-butt cakes!!!! Both are important. It's where our interests lie, for me it's about the decorating. For someone else it's about the baking and that's cool! Let's all get along, lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%