Arrange Fresh Flowers In Between Separated Tiers

Decorating By Dreme Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 9:40pm by Dreme

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:06am
post #1 of 4

What is the best way to arrange fresh flowers in between separated tiers? I'm thinking each tier would be separated by 2" styrofoam rounds. Is it possible to use wet foam some how covered in fondant to separate each tier? In general with this method would you stick flowers (any kind actually) into the styrofoam core rather than into the cake? I know nothing should be directly pierced into the cake but if possible was trying to prevent the number of holes needed going around the top of each tier.

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:37am
post #2 of 4

I presume you want wet foam to keep the flowers moist? I have only used silk flowers for this technique (just this weekend was the last time actually!)

I'd be experimenting with green oasis (the stuff for wet arrangements, not the dry floral arrangment one). Wrap tightly in cling film, after moistening. Use silicon (baking) paper rounds on top and bottom of the separator. Make your skewers tier height + height of foam separator - the weight of upper tiers should not be supported by the foam at all. Then, stick in your wired fresh flower stems (wired to keep them straight. Also - snip the ends of the stems the moment you take them out of your case of water, and JUST before plunging into the foam.

I would aim to avoid wetting the fondant at ALL costs! You will not see the foam separator in between the petal and leaves.

HTH!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 4

Another option would be to use an sps system as your support, then place the foam- as described above- so that it fits in between the support pillars. The flowers will pretty much cover the pillars.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I will try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%