Thai/australian Themed Cake Help

Decorating By Belyama Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 8:33am by Belyama

Belyama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belyama Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:56am
post #1 of 3

A relative rang me and wants a cake for her son's wife. He is from Australia and she is from Thailand. So she wanted to somehow mix the two cultures together to say welcome and still acknowledge her heritage.
So i thought i would make a small two teired cake, bottom painted with palm trees and native animals, beach etc. Then the top one i would put thai trees and building etc. And she wants and elephant on it as well.
In my head it looks good but i just practiced some painting on fondant and its not good! I am not gifted in the painting department.
I just can't think of anything else and can't seem to find one pic online to guide me another way.
I just dont want it to look gaudy. Was tying to get a slight elegant feel into it with neat lines or something as its for her birthday.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Belinda

2 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #2 of 3

Well, an Australian theme could use the earthy colours of the outback, the muted greens of gum trees and maybe even the Great Barrier reef coral colors etc. Also - have a look at Aboriginal 'dot' paintings tyo maybe give you another direction (especially as they use these earthy ochres etc).

The other way to go is the unique Australian animal theme - maybe a kangaroo on one side and a Thai emblem on the other facing in towards a heart cake (like a coat of arms - on the Aust COA, the kangaroo is on the left (emu on the right) - both animals cannot move backwards, only 'advance').

Alternatively, Australia is a beautiful shape - maybe you could carve an Australia continent shape and then place Thai orchids on top of the cake?

Just a few suggestions icon_smile.gif

Belyama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belyama Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:33am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

You have given me more options to think about, still a little lost on it but once i get something going it should go alright.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%