Just Throwing It Out There, But.. Koolaid In Cake/frosting?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm by StormyHaze

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:02am
post #1 of 7

Im not a fan of box mix cake by any means. So, it is a suprise to me that i thought of this: Maybe using lookaid powder in frostin/icing?

I mean, i bet it would give great color, i have no idea how it would do being baked as ive never tried it. Id imagine i wouldnt use all of the packet, as that would be waaaaay too sweet. Id think, anyway (with say cherry or something).

What do you guys think? Have you done this?

6 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:57am
post #2 of 7

I know that there are lemon cookie recipes out there with lemonaide mix in it.... I font see why it would be much different. Maybe reduce the sugar by a little bit to compensate foyer the sugar in the mix?

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:16am
post #3 of 7

straight-up traditional Kool-Aid packets don't contain sugar. Something to think about trying anyways- the main concern I'd have is if baking temps would make the absorbic acid, in the mix, bitter. I've made home-made playdough with kool-aid before and it colors and smells great but I generally don't eat playdough, icon_lol.gif

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:22am
post #4 of 7

So this question intrigued me so much I went ahead and googled "kool-aid cake" ....turns out there's lots of folks out there that have pondered and actually tried out adding kool-aid to their cakes...I kinda half-read a few recipes and blogs here and there and sounds like it's definately a GO icon_biggrin.gif

StormyHaze Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:46am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie76

So this question intrigued me so much I went ahead and googled "kool-aid cake" ....turns out there's lots of folks out there that have pondered and actually tried out adding kool-aid to their cakes...I kinda half-read a few recipes and blogs here and there and sounds like it's definately a GO icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome! I wonder what types of cakes/cupcakes to use it in! I certaintly wouldnt want to market it as a koolaid cupcake. Well... Maybe. But thats down the road. What did they do in the recipes? Just use it as a bumping up of a certain flavor/color? Did they compensate anything, like bakingkat said?

actually, on the chance you mightve saved a recipe.. link? I will browse as well, since now im convinced im not crazy for considering putting coolaid in cake.

@Corrie: Hm. I hadnt even thought about the absorbic acid. I sometimes forget about those scientific details!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:04am
post #6 of 7

Am I understanding the OP's post incorrectly? I thought she was asking about Koolaid in the Frosting, not the cake.

I would try a small batch just to see what it would do instead of wasting an entire batch of frosting. Great idea, let us know if you test it out.

StormyHaze Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Am I understanding the OP's post incorrectly? I thought she was asking about Koolaid in the Frosting, not the cake.

I would try a small batch just to see what it would do instead of wasting an entire batch of frosting. Great idea, let us know if you test it out.

I was talking about either or. In the frosting i know the sweet factor would definatley be upped, and so would the color. Unless you are using traditional as corrie says.

I am curious if the acid would affect the baking at all.

I considering making half a batch of cake mix normal and the other half with coolaid in it, to see the differences. I dont normally eat mix, but i know better than not to have an emergency box or two on hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%