Having The Client Buy Items You Would Normally Rent Out

Decorating By Dreme Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 4:32am by labmom

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:51am
post #1 of 2

I have a client who would like a cake with this structure concept:

http://www.sugarcraftemporium.com/system/files/370/2-tier-round-cake-separated-with-red-roses_lightbox.jpg?1298366119

I normally do not do this style and have not done one yet so i'm thinking this is a one time thing. Below is the system I have in mind to do this cake:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=6E0FE6D2-1E0B-C910-EA49669D12D34C75&fid=6E0FE7BC-1E0B-C910-EA4B75982ACA1212

I have no desire to have this stand in my rental inventory at the moment. (I just spent money on getting other rental items and do not wish to purchase another one right now). I'm thinking the cost of the stand could be included in their pricing estimate and they would keep the stand. I can see how the client would wonder why they have to buy it rather than rent it as they have no use for it afterwards; they could want me to buy it off them, but uh...no. Even if I were to rent it based on my policy they would still have to cover the full replacement cost in order to get it.

What do you offer you clients for custom support items?

1 reply
labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:32am
post #2 of 2

Hi I face this often with clients. Some have purchased the items because they like it or have someone that will buy it from them. I have also had them give me the items after they purchase it for there wedding then I can do what I want.. keep or sell.
this stand can be purchased only the pieces that you would like to buy (or need) and the middle support can be purchased in the height you need between the tiers.
This stand can be used for cakes and cupcakes. I have the old orig. stand that they had with the scalloped edges.. it worked for many cakes and is was very sturdy.
I think I would figure how many of what would be needed (if you need the whole stand for the 99.00 ) and then just tell your bride the options available and let her choose what would work best for you both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%