Cake Falling Apart

Decorating By EdibleElegance1972 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 3:42am by BlakesCakes

EdibleElegance1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleElegance1972 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 3

My husband transported my last 2 tiered cake creation and when he arrived at the destination (about 30 miles) the top layer had basically split apart. This has happened to me before but with a cake that was not stacked. I do not have a problem with a sound structure of stacked cakes, its just the cake basically crumbles. Am i going to have to change recipes or would refridgeration like an hour or so before work to keep the cake harder? Please HELP! Very upset about this happening icon_cry.gif

2 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 3

I have no idea why your cake is splitting apart. I always transport a cold cake....up to 4 tiers. I think a room temperature cake is a soft, dangerous cake to travel with. I have never had a cake incident. I also drive like a 90 year old grandma and watch my abrupt stops and turns. Do you know how your husband is driving? Do you have supports in your cake? I always travel with a dowel running down through all the tiers into the bottom board. Not 100% safe, but with my cold cake, I feel very confident.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:42am
post #3 of 3

Well, only you know your husband's driving habits...................but in any car, no matter who is driving, vibration is the enemy---and ALL cars vibrate.

I place all of my boxed cakes on about 4 inches of memory foam, on the flattest place as near the center of the car as I can. The memory foam dampens nearly all of the vibration and the cake never moves or jiggles.

I don't chill my cakes.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%