How To Make A Light Up Camp Fire On Camping Cake

Decorating By DarleneCh Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:25pm by mariacakestoo

DarleneCh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarleneCh Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:29am
post #1 of 7

Hi- I am planning a camping camp for my nephew. I would like to have a camp fire that lights up- other than using candles- do you have any idea how to do that? He would also like working headlights on the camper trailer. Any ideas of how to do that? Thanks so much! Darlene

6 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:28am
post #2 of 7

Build the flames around one of those miniature battery operated lights from the wedding sections in hobby stores. Coat the outside of the light in corn starch, and occasionally lift your pieces off until you're confident it can dry around it without sticking. Then when it's show time, turn the light on, slip your now very dry flames over it...and you've got campfire!

CarolinaGirlAsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:47am
post #3 of 7

I just finished a camping cake for a friends son last weekend, I used one of the battery powered lights as well. I built a fondant "rock ring" around the light and then used orange isomalt to create flames. When the battery operated light is turned on, the light flickers and bounces off the sugar flames. It really created a cool effect. I have some photos of it on my facebook page. I just do this as a hobby so I'm sure there are other more impressive versions of this type of thing out there, but I was happy with the results.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFlouredApron

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 10:18am
post #4 of 7

And battery operated LED lights with the cable hidden inside the camper/trailer for the lights?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 7

CarolinaGirl, your cakes are outstanding and the flame effect on the campfire is amazing.

CarolinaGirlAsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks SouthernCross. I truly am just a hobbyist. This is pretty much the first time I have shared my cake pictures with people I don't really know, so that means a lot! My husband is a semi-pro photographer so he does a great job with the photos.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirlAsh

I just finished a camping cake for a friends son last weekend, I used one of the battery powered lights as well. I built a fondant "rock ring" around the light and then used orange to create flames. When the battery operated light is turned on, the light flickers and bounces off the sugar flames. It really created a cool effect. I have some photos of it on my facebook page. I just do this as a hobby so I'm sure there are other more impressive versions of this type of thing out there, but I was happy with the results.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFlouredApron

Oh, that's wayyyy better! Duh, isomalt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%