Large Wedding, Lots Of Cupcakes To Make...

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 12:48pm by shuswapcakes

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I have been asked to create a large cupcake display for a wedding. Up until this point I do mostly full custom cakes, with the occasional small batch<50 or under> orders of cupcakes. I am working on planning out a wedding setup where as of right now there will be around 300 standard sized cupcakes and maybe around 200 mini cupcakes. Still working on details but most of these will probably be filled, and some will have handmade decorations...

The main question is... how do you all handle larger orders of the cuppies? My biggest fear is having enough time to bake, fill and frost.... AND still keeping them fresh!

I do not have access to a commercial kitchen or larger ovens soooo this should be fun! LOL
Do you have any recommendations in how to pull this off?

7 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

Get some help!!! Regardless of how much time you feel you have, an extra pair of hands will help you keep your sanity.

If you don't have an extra fridge maybe a neighbor can help you with storage OR does the budget warrent you renting a fridge for a week?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 8

Meet your new best friend: the freezer... Runner-up: hired help.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

I had a larger order a few weeks ago and had to bake and freeze since I couldn't do them all the night before or day of. Worked like a charm. I was nervous, but after a lot of research on here, I felt it would work. They thawed out so well and still tasted just as fresh as they would had I not put them in the freezer. I froze approximately 9 per gallon sized freezer ziplock bag. After they froze, I stacked bags on top of each other. It took up a lot of freezer space though. You might want to consider borrowing freezer space from someone. I thawed half the night before to frost and the other half the day off.

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Meet your new best friend: the freezer... Runner-up: hired help.

Ditto the freezer comment! You can just start a few days ahead of time and save a lot time! I have one outside freezer dedicated to just that. icon_biggrin.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, freeze them! But that many cupcakes is going to take up A LOT of space. I found some really great stackable cupcake tuperware containers at Micheals Crafts (not sure if you have these down there) They were a bit expensive but it allowed me to put about three times more in the freezer. Ask around if someone wouldn't mind you using their freezer for a few days if you don't have one big enough. Costco usually has small deepfreezers for sale fairly cheep too icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, freeze them! But that many cupcakes is going to take up A LOT of space. I found some really great stackable cupcake tuperware containers at Micheals Crafts (not sure if you have these down there) They were a bit expensive but it allowed me to put about three times more in the freezer. Ask around if someone wouldn't mind you using their freezer for a few days if you don't have one big enough. Costco usually has small deepfreezers for sale fairly cheep too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%