Pet Peeve...no Info Included With Picture!

Lounge By doramoreno62 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm by QTCakes1

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:00am
post #1 of 16

Ok this my pet peeve; Why do some people post pictures of beautiful cakes, or scuptures or anything 3D and then don't give you ANY info on what it's made from or what they used to make it??
I'm not asking for a full tutorial, but a brief description would suffice. Is the tiara/watch/flower etc. made of Royal icing? Fondant? Gumpaste? A mixture of both?
I'd like to know. Maybe I'll need to make one someday and it would be nice to know what it's made from.
Got it off my chest, stepping down now. Thanks for listening!

15 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:13am
post #2 of 16

LOL!!! I totally agree. I love when people put a short description of what they have done and what flavor too!! So ditto from me! icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:30am
post #3 of 16

I agree! I hate it also when there is a beautiful cake or flower and all they say is that it is their first or give the name of the flower. So many times I see these items and No Info! I have wanted to say something for so long but was trying to be nice. Thanks for the post.
evelyn

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 16

My related pet peeve is when there are no key words added. How can it be found in a search if there are no key words!

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 16

I agree. I would like to know the flavor of the cake and frosting, and a lot of people don't include that.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 16

Because many of the beautiful cakes posted here are uploaded by members from other countries who cannot write in English.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 16

I couldn't agree more! I want to know who it was for and for what occasion, flavor of cake and icing, what medium was used to decorate, did you have a disaster alonf the way, etc. Of course, I tend to write novellas in my descriptions! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

KathysCC, I'm sure that non-English speaking members account for a lot of the description-less photos but definitely not all of them. So,let's clarify that our pet peeve is not directed towards non-English speaking cakers icon_smile.gif.

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 16

It annoys me too....and yet I don't do it half the time...Lesson learned icon_smile.gif See there a vent can help icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

My big pet peeve is that now whenever a picture is posted, people demand full tutorials on the techniques used on the cake. It didn't used to be this way, but now it seems that a very large percentage of newer users expect this to be FreeTutorialCentral.com

UGH

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 16

I think it is only courteous to put a brief explination as to how you did something unique or special. Unless the only reason you post your pictures is to show everyone else how great you think you are and that you don't want to share your knowledge.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #11 of 16

I totally agree 100%. And I would like to add this .....keywords would be nice too, it makes a search easier. Sorry I didn't mean to threadjack there

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #12 of 16

Oh you didn't hijack cakelady! That's another of my pet peeves too. I think I should have titled this thread "my pet peeve is...what's yours?" LOL!
Everyone, feel free to shout out your own CC Pet Peeve!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 16

I'm probably going to be attacked for this but it bothers me when I open a post to read it and the OP starts it with "OK, SO......" In all instances if the "OK SO" is deleted it's a perfect post! It's the English major in me! Sorry to all those I've just offended! My 14 year old says "ok so" everytime she has something to say and I hear her snotty voice with every "OK SO" post!!

Sorry! Sorry! Please don't hate me! But I had to get it off my chest! Now if any of you are like my 15 yr old you'll all be starting posts that way for the simple satisfaction of knowing my eye will be twitching the entire time I read it. Haha.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 16

Don't kill me but...

I just like looking at the pretty pictures.

A brief description on the technique would be nice, but not having a description doesn't lessen my appreciation of the art. A comment about the occasion or reason the cake was made adds a personal touch and helps the reader connect with the writer, but again it doesn't bother me when it is missing.

And the flavor of the icing and cake... well frankly I don't give a hoot about that.

Just an opinion from the other side.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

My big pet peeve is that now whenever a picture is posted, people demand full tutorials on the techniques used on the cake. It didn't used to be this way, but now it seems that a very large percentage of newer users expect this to be FreeTutorialCentral.com

UGH

Oh me too and I am way closer in skill level to those asking than those who have made the fabulous creations. It is completely unreasonable to expect someone to spend ages writing a huge tutorial on something they have done. Very kind of them should they choose to but dont expect it. Go figure it out yourself or ask specific questions about a little bit of it, eg tip used or whatever but a full tutorial on every step of a 6 tier creation - NO go away!!

Sorry

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

UGH

This is my pet peeve as well. I think a lot of people just like to share their work and yes, it is to be told great job. I am sure we have seen our share of threads that say "I post my photos, but I don't get comments". I don't post photos, cause I don't feel like explaning it all, I just want to share, and I am not the only one that feels this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%