Making And Decorating A Cake One Day In Advance

Decorating By pinkhope Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 9:38pm by icer101

pinkhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkhope Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 7

Hello- I am a newbie and I am making a cake for a friend for this Saturday. I wanted to make the cakes friday along with decorating it. My filling is home-made snickers buttercream and will be covered in fondant. Has anyone (non-professional baker) ever completed the cake a day before? If yes, what do I do with the cake? Do I just box it and keep it in a room temp room? The temp tomorrow will be high 60's very fall like weather. I am very nervous I want to make sure the cake still tastes fresh on saturday. Thanks in advance!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 7

I use Sugarshack's non-dairy buttercream to fill & cover. I always decorate 12-24 hours before pick-up. The icing seals in the moisture. If your filling or icing is perishable, though, it'll need to be refrigerated. You can put it in the fridge to firm up the icing then cover with saran and it won't mess up your icing. If wrapped super well it will stay fresh in fridge. Good luck!

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 7

I usually bake on Thursday, fill, crumb coat or Ganache & Refrigerate then decorate friday. Once I decorate I keep it at room temp if it's fondant, then Deliver Saturday morning.

I have once done everything on friday night for a saturday party and that includes making gumpaste figures & decorations. It's stressful, especially with the gumpaste decorations because you can never be sure it'll dry out enough. I was up almost the entire night, the only reason I did everything last minute was because I had been sick earlier in the week, and wanted to push anything related to making the cake as far back as possible.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 7

Personally, I would suggest baking on Thursday, freeze and wrap the cake well overnight. Thaw completely Friday and decorate. Trying to frost and decorate a freshly baked cake can often be a challenge. Overnight freezing firms the texture without losing freshness.

If the cake needs refrigeration because of the filling, place the cake in a cake box and then in the frig. It will be fine.

pinkhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkhope Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone - I am making the Wilton buttercream so I am guessing it would need to be refrigerated?? It has 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 sticks of butter. Any thoughts? The cakes are made and I think I am going to make the buttercream now and just put it all together tomorrow. I was trying to avoid it because something had come up and I need to be some place for a few hours and I did not want to be rushing.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkhope

Thanks everyone - I am making the Wilton buttercream so I am guessing it would need to be refrigerated?? It has 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 sticks of butter. Any thoughts? The cakes are made and I think I am going to make the buttercream now and just put it all together tomorrow. I was trying to avoid it because something had come up and I need to be some place for a few hours and I did not want to be rushing.

It will be just fine! thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 7

You don,t have to refrigerate your cake at all. It will be just fine. Do it all the time.hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%