Wedding Cake Emergency Please Help

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 4:22am by cakelady2266

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I am kinda freaking out. I am doing a 3 tier square 14X10X6 stacked for Saturday. I filled with swiss meringue buttercream but made a mistake and put only 16 sticks of butter when I normally put 20 (2 1/2 recipes that fill all the cakes 2 layers buttercream 3 layers cake). It wasnt until I was filling the 3rd and final one that it was really soft that I realized my mistake. It is very mousse-like and less dense than I am used to. I am afraid if I take the cake apart I risk tearing all the layers and making more chaos. I do have a buttercream dam around each edge. So I either #1 Take it apart, make a new recipe and risk tearing the layers (costing both time and ingredients). Or #2 maybe reinforce the buttercream dam and hope it doesnt ooze and will cut well. I was also thinking that if I deliver it chilled, it should stay solid for awhile huh? The cake cutting isnt until 9:00 though. Do people stack cakes with very soft filling? Sorry this is so long. Causing me anxiety though. Thanks in advance!!

4 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

I would refrigerate the cake right up to the delivery time and it should be fine...the butter in the SMBC will firm up enough to keep it stable until the cake is cut.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 5

Yes, I would refridgerate it also to get it as cold possible..but I would also state that cake cannot sit in hot air so they don't get back at you if something happens. Coverage for you.Best of luck!!

DrewsCrows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DrewsCrows Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5

agreed! Refrigerate that cake!!!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 5

Refrigerate it until time. If in doubt put it in the freezer for a half hour or so before you leave with it. And just to be on the safe side I would stack it on site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%