Crusting Buttercream?

Decorating By Bridgette1129 Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm by Bridgette1129

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, I am new here icon_smile.gif

I feel like I know quite a bit about cakes, especially with the help from all of your answers in the forums icon_wink.gif but one thing I don't understand is crusting buttercream.

I have made buttercream that after sitting at room temperature had a slight crust/crunch when I bit into it on a cupcake. Is this crusting buttercream?

Also, what is the point? Why do some people prefer crusting and some not? I thought maybe I did something wrong by leaving the cupcakes out of the fridge or something and that's why they got "crusty".

Thanks so much!

5 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

Yes, a butter cream that creates a light crunch on the outside yet remains soft on the inside is considered a crusting butter cream. There are varying levels of crusting and each seems to be directly related to the amount of fat to liquid in the recipe. Butter creams made solely with shortening or with a 50/50 ration of shortening to butter are the most common crusting types of butter cream.

The advantage of a crusting butter cream is the ability to smooth it more perfectly and have it be forgiving if lightly touched or bumped. A hot knife technique or the paper towel technique are used by many to achieve that near perfection on the butter cream surface often seen on cakes. I am not saying this cannot be achieved in other methods or with other types of frosting. I am saying it is just easier and "user" friendly.

For my celebration cakes I use a crusting butter cream. For my cupcakes I do not. HTH

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 6

heartsnsync, can you please share your non crusting buttercream recipe that you use on your cupcakes.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:14am
post #4 of 6

Cookiedoescakes,

Nothing special about my butter cream recipe but all my customers love it. It is a pure butter recipe that begins with room temperature butter that is whipped very, very light and then it is further lightened by whipping in additional liquids alternating with the powdered sugar and a measure of salt that has been dissolved and added with the liquids. Then at the end I whip it again for an additional 5 minutes or so. I switch up the flavors by adding different liquids and extracts.

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 6

ok thank you... it sounds very fluffly. I will try it because I normally use a crusting buttercream and i dont think i like it for cupcakes

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%