What's Worse Than Picking A Serving Chart?

Baking By vgray Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 1:12pm by vgray

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 3

Trying to pick a weight converter chart! icon_cry.gif I am so baffled at all the different converter charts there are. I am in the process of switching all of my recipes from cups to ounces/grams because my mom is getting me the OXO Good Grips Food Scale for Christmas. I want to have all of my recipes converted before then so I they are ready to go. However, this is a worse headache than figuring out which serving chart to use. One chart says 1 cup of all-purpose flour is 5oz and another says it is 4.5oz. A few charts claim all-purpose flour and confectioner's sugar have the same oz per cup. If that is true then how is a 2lb bag of confectioner's sugar 8 cups? icon_confused.gif That would mean 1 cup of confectioner's is 4 oz not 4.5oz or 5oz. Which is accurate? Should I just pick a chart and go exclusively with that and forget that there are other charts out there? What chart do you all find to be the most accurate?

2 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 3

I'm with ya! they're all different and for me, who is slightly OCD, had to create my own chart. I've taken each of my recipes and measured then weighed each ingredient, jotted it down, then repeated the process either right away or the next time I bake it again until I was comfortable with the conversion. You'll soon notice that different brands of the same stuff weigh slightly different too...errr!

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 3

I really wanted to have all of the converting done but I just I will wait until I get that scale. The scale I currently use is the $8 dial scale from Walmart. So knowing if some thing is not exactly a whole number is impossible. I have been using the same brand of things but am currently in the process of using up all of my flour in stock because I want to switch to all unbleached flour, which would be a different brand. So I guess it comes down to making my own chart. Which is okay because I'm a little OCD too and would be double checking the charts against my own weights anyhow and I love a good reason to make a spread sheet lol.

Thanks for responding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%