Smurf Mushroom Cake - Any Advice Greatly Appreciated!

Decorating By Cilla17 Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 9:54am by Cilla17

Cilla17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cilla17 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there, I'm new to all this & will be attempting a 3D mushroom style cake. I really would like to ensure the whole thing doesn't collapse.
Both the "stem" and the "cap" will be made using a mud mix and covered in fondant.
Apart from using skewers through the stem and placing the mushroom cap on a cake board large enough to sit on the stem underneath it, can you think of anything else I would need to do, so that the mushroom cap (being the heavier cake) won't collapse?

Thanking you in advance

3 replies
geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

instead of skewers, use some larger dowels so that it's a little more sturdy. Also remember to place a dowel through the top all the way into the bottom cake board for support. I cant wait to see your cake. I LOVE THE SMURFS!!!!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 4

I don't know how big you need it to be, but the mushroom cake in my pics I made using the cupcake pan from Wilton. I just inverted the base of the cupcake, and shaved the point off of the top.

Cilla17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cilla17 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 9:54am
post #4 of 4

Thanks!

geri4292adams, the cake isn't due until the end of this month, so you'll have to wait to see my pic but I will post it, and thanks again for your advice, I will keep that in mind icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%