Tall Cake Class Question?????

Decorating By NanaCin Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 4:34pm by TexasSugar

NanaCin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaCin Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to be taking the Tall Cake Class next week and I was wondering if anyone has taken this class before.

My question is it requires 2 6" and 2 10" cakes iced, do you know if the class stacks all together or will there be two separate stacked cakes.

I know every instructor is different this is a Wilton Class at Michael's.

Thanks,

9 replies
geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there, I'm a Wilton Instructor with Hobby Lobby and I teach this class. You will bring your cakes into class and then you'll have the choice of stacking your cakes one on top of the other or you can tier them with plates and pillars. Everyone does their cakes at the same time. I HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 10

You will ice your two 6in layers together, so you have about a 4in tall cake. You will also ice your two 10in layers together, giving you a second almost 4in tall cake.

The 6in you want to put on a 6 in cake board, so you can either stack it directly on top of the 10in cake (with supports, you will be shown how to do this in class) or put it on an 8in cake plate from wilton and use pillars between the 6in and 10in cakes. Again the structural stacking will be covered in the class.

NanaCin Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for the help, I can't wait to see how we get this together.

One more question, can you tell me how you transported your cakes to class and from class. As you see I have never done a tiered cake.

Thanks,

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 10

Two separate boxes or carries to class. Coming home depending on which way you stack it, you may have one big cake, so an open box or no box on the way home.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 10

Just out of curiosity, having never taken a Wilton class, what is the "Tall" referring to? Just the tiered cake part of it? I'd think of "tall" cakes being a double-stacked 6" that was 8" tall or something like that, but it doesn't sound like what you're all describing.

NanaCin Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 10

A tall class is basically a tiered cake class. We will be using 6" and 10" cakes. I am curious on how we will be stacking.

The wilton classes are great. Really have enjoyed all the ones I have taken.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 10

Costume, because Wilton took the two tier cake out of the Course three last June, they came out with a project class to teach students how to do the tiered cakes. I think they should have named it Tiered cakes, but nope, they call it Tall Cakes.

The students bring a 6 and 8 in cake and are showed up to stack using dowels and plates/pillars (two plates and pillars sandwiched between the two cakes since the stores don't carry the push in pillars).

The students get the option of picking which way they want to stack, then decorate their cake towards the end of the class.

Nana, you should have the option of doing a stacked cake, one directly on top of the other, or using the plates and pillars between the two tiers. You'll pick that during class and go shopping for the items you need for the way you do it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Costume, because Wilton took the two tier cake out of the Course three last June, they came out with a project class to teach students how to do the tiered cakes. I think they should have named it Tiered cakes, but nope, they call it Tall Cakes.

Well, that's stupidly confusing. I guess it would have made too much sense to call it "tiered cakes" icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 10

Probably!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%