Help Asap-How To Price A Fondant Cake

Decorating By dweddings Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 2:33pm by TexasSugar

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:42am
post #1 of 7

I have customer who wants a cake done with at least 2 inches of Italian buttercream than covered in fondant. It is to be 2 tiers square for 100 people. They want party size servings not wedding size servings. Both tiers are to have quilting design with white pearls. How do I price this cake I always put regular buttercream under my fondant but not as if cake was just covered in buttercream and they want Italian buttercream. Just starting out in new place and don't want to give to high a quote. Can anyone tell me appx. what they would charge .Need advice ASAP.Also on top of cake big bow with ribbons that cascade down front of cake ,made of fondant.[/quote]

6 replies
SweetDelites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelites Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:56am
post #2 of 7

I would charge $3.50 per slice. You have to account for supplies, baking, and your time. In the past I've charge to less and had to come out of pocket, or didn't have money left after getting supplies to pay myself.
HTH icon_smile.gif

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:23am
post #3 of 7

The last one I did was rectangle and square two tier chocolate cake, filling IMBC and chocolate ganache and fondant covered + ribbons and other fondant decorations. Charged 75 for 15 party servings (5 per slice) - it was a promotional price for the first client's order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 7

Help me understand..... they want TWO INCHES of buttercream icing on top of this cake? Ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 7

For two tiers I charge a base amount of $4.00 per serving. But I use the wedding serving size for all my cakes. I would probably charge $5 a serving for party servings.

To get 100 party servings from a square cake, you will have to use a 12 inch square cake and a 14 inch square cake.

Two inches of buttercream, regardless of what kind, is a little much.

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all your great help. Yes I know that amount of buttercream icing is not going to work. Lets hope they don't get out a ruler. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 7

To me a 12 stacked on a 14 would look pretty funny stacked. Have you thought about asking them if they would be willing to go with a 3 tiered cake?

A 6/10/14 would give them 105 1.5x2 servings.

Either way, there is a simple fix for the pricing. A cake is a cake, a 12 and 14 would give you 111 1.5x2 in servings or 170 1x2 in servings. I'd simply take what you would normally charge, example if you charged $4 a serving for fondant, it would be $680 for the 12 and 14.

It doesn't matter how many servings they actually get, you base the cake off your serving chart. If you feel like you have to break it down to price per serving, then tell them the serving price is $6.18 for a 1.5x2 ($680/110).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%