Raspberry Buttercream

Baking By KuyaRomeo Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm by scp1127

KuyaRomeo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KuyaRomeo Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 14

I am trying to make a raspberry buttercream that is not made from artificial flavors. At the same time, I do not want the seeds in the buttercream, as it makes it more likely to have 'pulls' when frosting/basing the cake.

Do you think it will be ok, if I make a white buttercream and add a few TBSP of seedless all natural raspberry jam?

I prefer to get my tastes from real ingredients, rather than extracts, whenever possible.

Thanks

13 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 14

I often add seedless jams to my buttercream and they taste good. You can also use juice if you can find it or the coffee flavoring syrups are great too. Good luck,
evelyn

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 14

Kuysromeo: That is exactly how I make mine. I use the seedless raspberry preserves to flavor it. I also added the preserves to a white cheesecake pudding mix and whipped topping mousse to get Raspberry-White Chocolate Mousse fillng. I used these two items to fill and ice my own birthday cake this year. First time I ever made my own birthday cake. It was a Chocolate cake by Suebee on CC. Very chocolatey and moist. Everyone loved it.

KuyaRomeo Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:24am
post #4 of 14

Thank you for the responses! I will go ahead and try it this weekend.

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 14

I also use the seedless raspberry jam mixed into vanilla butter cream. It colors the icing a pretty pink and tastes just like raspberry.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 14

I also use the seedless raspberry preserves and it tastes great!

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:02am
post #7 of 14

I buy the canned raspberry pie filling, put it through a strainer to get rid of the seeds, and add some of it to my frostings and fillings. I've also used lemon curd.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #8 of 14

I take frozen raspberries, defrost them in the microwave and then mash them through a strainer so there are no seeds. Absolutely fantastic

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:07am
post #9 of 14

Unless you are using an imitation extract, extracts are made with "real" ingredients. For example, the raspberry extract we use is made with concentrated raspberry juice.

KuyaRomeo Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #10 of 14

Agreed that a good quality extract can be decent, and is a natural or real ingredient . . however I have never ever found any extract that delivers the flavor in the way I want. It normally has a taste that a sensitive palette can pick up instantly.

I prefer to use the actual fruit, over the extract . . that is just my preference.

But, certainly I agree there are better extracts out there. And I make my own extracts for some things . . But I just prefer to use the fruit itself, whenever possible (before becoming extract)

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:57am
post #11 of 14

KuyaRomeo, do you make SMBC? Or is it regular buttercream you're making? Here's Ron Ben Israel's blackberry Swiss that he makes very frequently. I guess you can make it with raspberry.

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/today-ron-has-allowed-me-to-share-a-few-recipes/

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/neatness-counts/

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 6:19am
post #12 of 14

I use Olive Nation premium extracts and there is nothing in it to give an off or artificial taste. The fruit is premium and the ingredients are few and natural.

For raspberry buttercream, I use raspberries, in the processor, then strained, reduced with a tiny bit of sugar and lemon juice. For one layer of filling, I use gourmet jam.

KuyaRomeo Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Unless you are using an imitation extract, extracts are made with "real" ingredients. For example, the raspberry extract we use is made with concentrated raspberry juice.

I understand fully. And I agree that there are better extracts than others on the market . . . .however . . .

That is like saying Orange Juice from concentrate is the same as fresh squeezed Orange Juice. It is not. Both are good for different tastes. For me, it has to be the more real thing . . not the concentrate.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 14

Orange juice from concentrate is fake. Even one that say 100%. Those natural flavors are created in a lab. When you get an extract from a premium company, it is not a created product. They use the same process we would, only with much more experience.

I'm not trying to argue, but premium extracts can be better than we amateurs make at home.

If you want pure fruit, it's simple. A reduction, of just the juice itself, will be the only way to produce a pure concentrate.

Note: Extract is a concentrate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%