What Do I Use For These Separators?

Decorating By vitomiriam Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 12:02pm by vitomiriam

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:24am
post #1 of 8

I must admit, I'm stumped. What in the world do I use to separate the tiers? And in addition to the obvious board underneath the cake, what do I use that will be sturdy enough not to slant down on the edges that are hanging over the separators? I have no idea how to accomplish this look! Any ideas???

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

What in the world do I use to separate the tiers? And in addition to the obvious board underneath the cake, what do I use that will be sturdy enough not to slant down on the edges that are hanging over the separators?

What separators? Do you have a photo or a link to an example of these?

vitomiriam Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:51am
post #3 of 8

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/fashion/bridesmaids/shop-the-trend-lace

For some reason, I can't post the picture. Does this link work?

vitomiriam Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 8
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:15am
post #5 of 8

Use a square piece of foam covered with fondant that is about 2" smaller than the tier above it. The foam might be 1 - 1 1/2" high.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #6 of 8

Wilton has some separaters that are similiar in idea to this. Of course the ones that I have seen are round, but once you find the actual name of them I imagine that you can find some square ones too on one of the many cake stores on line. I don't know what they are called myself, but I know that look and I think that you would just use your regular support system underneath the separaters like dowels or plastic dowels.

Page 238 of the 2011 Wilton Yearbook has a round set and it tells what comes with it. It doesn't appear to have any support system included with it so I imagine that you would just use a support system like for a stacked cake, but make sure it is underneath the tier separaters. Best wishes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:16am
post #7 of 8

4" diameter cake dummy, covered. Or maybe even a 6" dummy.

vitomiriam Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your great answers ladies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%