I Need Ideas..........please?

Decorating By SISA Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 1:17am by jules5000

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to do a small cake ( 9 inch round) for my best friend and her/my family. Her 75 year old Aunt is getting out of rehab from a fall. She has agreed to go into an assisted living facility but, out of state to be near her only son. So it is a going away party cake so to speak. She LOVES my cakes and I want this to be special for her. Does anyone have any good ideas for me? I can't think I am sitting her tearing up over the idea of this dinner Saturday night....lol

8 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure what you have access to but maybe something like a scrapbook cake?You could get some edible images of pictures of everyone to place on the cake. Just an idea.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

Does she have any hobbies? For instance, if she likes knitting, you could design a cake that looks like a basket with yarn and knitting needles.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 9

A tea party theme might be nice with a pretty, lacy tablecloth. You could make the teapot and cups and maybe a plate of tiny tea sandwiches. You could even do a miniature of the cake you are making to put on the table.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 9

I had the exact same idea as Rusti!! I'm only in my 40's and I would love a cake like that-!! you can also add small renditions of her hobbies on it as well-

Good Luck- can't wait to see some pics of what you came up with!

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 9

I had the exact same idea as Rusti!! I'm only in my 40's and I would love a cake like that-!! you can also add small renditions of her hobbies on it as well-

Good Luck- can't wait to see some pics of what you came up with!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 9

I would start by asking if and what hobbies she has. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SarahMdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahMdr Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #8 of 9

A large "heart" cake came to mind (shape of cake) - And the cake molds always seem easy to find. You could then fill/frost with her favorite flavors. You could also make a couple of them or tier it, depending on the number of people attending.

icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

Do you have any idea of how many are going to be there? If it is going to be real small I think that the teapot cake is a neat idea. You could decorate the cake board witha a piece of fondant that would have the look of a lace tablecloth and make a little tea cup and saucer to go with it. Tami Utley also made some little gloves to go with hers. Made out of fondant. I think that a cake like that would be something she would really be touched by. That is just a little older than my mother and she would love something like that. but if she is not one that would seem to enjoy that kind of thing than maybe the idea of the hobbies based cake would be good. Or does she like travel? I mean I know that she is moving, but has she ever traveled much or had a special trip and memories of that one trip? You could make a cake that somewhat resembled her time there. Get your friend involved with this. She is going to be the biggest help in deciding what her Grandmother is going to like best. Best wishes. God Bless.

Times like this are going to be tough on one because if you have gotten to know that person very well it is always hard if you know there is a very good chance that you won't get to see them again? Maybe there would be a chance that your best friend and you could take a trip to go see her after she has a chance to get settled in. I am sure that she would be thrilled. You kknow this is probably a little scary for her too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%