Mexican Hats Help!

Decorating By missoularedhead Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 5:47am by missoularedhead

missoularedhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missoularedhead Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

So, I am currently making a wedding cake for two friends. They requested that I do flowers that are in their yard. I'm using gumpaste and fondant. Mums, ranunculus, and autumn leaves are all in the bag, but I'm having a devil of a time with mexican hats. They look like this: http://www.easywildflowers.com/quality/Rat.co1.jpg

The centers are easy enough (a bit of moss green and some castor sugar dyed brown work really well), but I'm having a really hard time with the petals. I can get the colors, but as you can see, the edges are yellow, while the centers are deep red. I tried petal dust, but can't get the yellow on thick enough to cover the red. And I'm not rich enough to buy and airbrush kit (not sure that would work anyway). Would doing an inlay, slightly smaller, and rolling it work, do you think? I'm rather at my wits' end trying to figure this out! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 7

This is just a thought, you could make the petals in the yellow and then use an edible marker to do the red. Or do the petals white and color in both yellow and red with an edible marker. Or make thin cut outs in fondant for the red and place on top of yellow petals.

I hope it helps. Good luck.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

Put the red over the yellow, always colour the darkest colour last and if you look at the petal they are yellow with a red centre .

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 7

Put the red over the yellow, always colour the darkest colour last and if you look at the petal they are yellow with a red centre .

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:43am
post #5 of 7

I would be inclined to paint with vodka-thinned gel or paste colors. I would first practice on a piece of yellow gumpaste to achieve the color and feathered technique at the ends. I usually don't find enough flexibility with just using edible markers.
(They are a lovely flower and look like a lot of fun to make.)

I'm anxious to see the picture when you post.

Jan

sandyvrc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyvrc Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:55am
post #6 of 7

i would have the petals yellow and paint red in with a brush, staight from
the coloring tub. i use gels and theyre affordable and have strong colors like the flowers do
and i always paint with them

missoularedhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missoularedhead Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 5:47am
post #7 of 7

Thanks all! I'll try the color on white/yellow, as well as the food markers...might as well try a couple of things. If they fail, well, then, I'll just have to in a different direction!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%